html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: An experiment.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An experiment.

Got back from Los Osos late last night. The Los Osos story is the huge majority of what is on my mind, with the party I'm hosting tonight a far distant second. I want to talk about it, but I don't want to talk about it here. For one thing, people in Los Osos are reading this blog (I checked my stats from a cafe in town, and was surprised to find it was my seventy-sixth visit from that address.). It seems only fair that they should get to know pieces of me, considering how much of their time and story they're giving me. But it also means that I'm done talking about it here.

The solution, of course, is a password protected blog. That's what I've done. I intend it to be for me, in the most selfish kind of way. I won't edit or proofread. There will be task lists and fragments of thoughts. There will be self-absorbed musing about how I take on a task this daunting. I might use that venue to put up chunks of text, but who knows. I am so far from writing text.

It would help me if you read along and encouraged me. I do my best work when I am writing to a person I am trying to charm with witty perceptive thoughts. It would be easier to sit back down and write if I thought there were anyone listening on the other end. If I thought you were holding me to a high standard of documentation and notation, I might be better about that all along. And god knows you guys ask good questions. If I hadn't posted in a week or two, it would be good to get comments from y'all, asking what else is important enough to distract me. I would have to tell a coherent version of the story, to get us started. It would be, like, a collaboration, sorta. Based entirely on my whim.

I cannot think why you would be interested in such a thing. I won't be entertaining. I won't even talk about irrigation. I would ask you to keep my thoughts there private, no quotes or links without asking me first. It looks like the Blogger system sucks balls. You would have to sign in with a gmail account, and I'm put off by their imperialism. But maybe a dozen of y'all have time on your hands, and don't want to go out into the beautiful world and get laid. Maybe you have some unearned loyalty toward me and want to help me. And in the foreword, when I thank the little people, that would be you!

If any of that sounds appealing, email me and tell me who you are. If I don't have a sense of you, I'll probably send back an apologetic refusal. (See, lurkers! There are penalties! You can't read my boring other blog! Bet you're sorry now.) If I think you're involved in the story, I will definitely send you an apologetic refusal. But if I know you and know you support me, I'll gratefully send you an invitation to join. Or, if you think this is a really bad idea, now would be a good time to tell me why.

Posting frequency may drop here, especially if I am working hot and heavy over there. Don't know yet.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a blog just for me for awhile about random program generators. Blog software is nice for that. I kept all kinds of notes and ideas and whatnot. And, then I had everything categorized, and it was all searchable.

It's a decent way to organize and save information.

Doxygen is nice too, but that's really only for software people.

Justin

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should we send the e-mail from our gmail accounts, or will any old e-mail address work?

--mith

3:53 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You can send it from any account. If you don't have a gmail account, it'll offer you an invitation. If you have a gmail account, you might as well start with that one, I guess.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have a gmail account, you might as well start with that one, I guess.

I did just that. :)

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But why would I buy the book if I could read the blog for free?" said the ruthless capitalist overlord.

1:44 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

Ed, you just so got yourself off the invite list. That's one more spot for the rest of us!

The best book of Java, by the way, is Bruce Ekels's Thinking in Java, which is available free online. People still buy plenty of copies though.

There's the Bible too. That sells a lot. Megan's book will be just like that. Ok, not just like that, but there may be a Great Flood.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cladeedah said...

Invite me!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home