html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Some links I liked today.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Some links I liked today.

Eric put a lot of thought into critiquing this series of posts. I'm backlogged on the posts I want to write, so I'll just say that I don't agree with some portions of it. I liked a fair amount of the background he dug up. I do want to add three things:

I do not understand Tyler's attentions to me, either. I am flattered and grateful, but I'm as puzzled as Erik is. I think it is because I generate content.

I am getting increasingly pissed at the accusation that I only mind abuses of power when they work against my interests. That is accusing me of cynicism, self-dealing and hypocrisy. I am only a person, so I am as subject to confirmation bias as anyone, but I work hard to be an ethical person and I believe in the rule of law. Several of you have repeated that accusation and at this point, you can prove it or you can stop saying that crap. I wouldn't refuse an apology, either.

I am with all of you on saying that a big part of the problem is the creeping allocation and re-allocation of different kinds of rights in the Klamath and in water-related systems in general. As a hobby for my idle moments, I've given a lot of thought to the rights system I will install when I am finally your benevolent dictator. I would love to tell you about that. I won't though. I have written a lot of crazy shit on this blog. I am still afraid it will get me fired. But, you know, maybe some enviro-type-people will agree with what I wrote here and wouldn't mind hiring me despite my saying what I think. I love this outlet and I want to keep on these topics. Except in this. I am genuinely afraid that talking at length about California water rights would make me politically unhirable in Water in the west. So I'm leaving that topic be. I have enough self-preservation left for that.

*******************

Since I'm doubting economic theory today, it was nice to see someone else doing the same. Via Ezra.

*******************

I thought this piece on hypocrisy and contradiction was beautiful and very helpful. I need to process it more, but I think it does a much better job getting at some things I've been thinking. Via Majikthise.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I am getting increasingly pissed at the accusation that I only mind abuses of power when they work against my interests.

Understand that I am not accusing you here. I'm just going to post some situations for you to ruminate upon. Consider it an opportunity to self-calibrate.

The Supreme Court finds penumbras casting strong enough shadows to create a "right of privacy." It seems obvious that they are doing this in order to effect a social change without going through the usual amendment process.

The governor of Arkansas and his wife engage in a number of speculative investment ventures with politically-connected friends, yielding highly fortunate profits.

In the wake of ethical scandal, the President relies on highly questionable intelligence to justify cruise missile attacks against targets in Afghanistan and Sudan. The primary pharmaceutical factory in the latter country is destroyed, arguably leading to tens of thousands of civilian death.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't "seem obvious" to me.

I don't understand, is something wrong with "fortunate" profits? (Is there any other kind?)

I have a low tolerance for state sponsored murder.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not understand Tyler's attentions to me, either. I am flattered and grateful, but I'm as puzzled as Erik is. I think it is because I generate content.

Not only do you generate content, but you generate content (and think) in a way that an econy person can understand and relate to, in novel contexts with subject knowledge.

And isn't that basically what Cowen does?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I guess so. I'm not sure that compensates for mocking his readers and a strain of thought that he identifies with, but he seems to be open-minded.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to be Tyler's pet before you came along. :(

9:26 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

See, but that makes sense.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I love this outlet and I want to keep on these topics." -Megan

too bad we can't just all get together and sip mint jullips and talk... perhaps francis will start a blog... and then you can comment anon...

but yeah, it isn't worth getting fired over...
D

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect that the strain of libertarianism that you mock isn't the strain he identifies with. After all, it isn't the strain I identify with, and I'm all about projection.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

You know what sucks? When the world doesn't let you project.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, I'm not a political libertarian (let alone a Libertarian), but I read Marginal Revolution because it is a good combination of accessible (i.e., I don't have to do homework to understand it), intelligent (i.e., my book larnin' days of yore are of some use in processing the posts and comments), and civil (i.e., ad hominem attack are at a minimum). I suspect that Tyler links to you because you share some of those qualities on your blog, um, most of the time.* Also, I stay away from most political blogs because they are all rhetoric and no substance, and rely instead on the emotional reaction of the reader to build and sustain momentum. Your blog is pretty unique (in a way I like!) because not only do you have the substance, but you have the emotional voice, too, which most people love to love or to hate.

*I have to say, I don't care for your broad-stroked characterization of libertarians, or of ex-pats or tv newscasters for that matter. But that's just my personal pet peeve -- I DEPISE generalizations about groups of people, even (especially?) when done for comic effect or to make a point.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh Qbook. I have good intentions, but sometimes I am weak. Sometimes I hate. I try to have reasons when I do.

Besides... Dithers understands me.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan,

Maybe Tyler likes you for similar reasons as why I enjoy your policy posts: You employ a nuanced understanding of the economic theory, the institutions, and the actors involved. And even with those attributes, your posts are not boring!

There's significant irony in your critique of Coase based on your argument that small farmers don't profit maximize. Maybe you already know this, but certainly some of your commenters do not. Coase's original 1960 paper motivates his theory with a detailed story about a conflict of interest between a farmer who grows crops and a farmer who raises cattle. The cattle wander onto the other farm and eat the crops.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tyler probably pays you attention for the same reason that I do; fromthearchives is a beautiful read.

I do not care if you are right or wrong, whether I agree or disagree. Fromthearchives bursts with vibrant colors, barely visible from the edge of the achromatic econo-blawgosphere.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

Probably NONE of your readers would find Cowen's attention at all surprising.

After all, WE read you. And since Cowen is pretty smart, why should he be so different from US?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home