html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Sewers Are Fucking Excellent

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Sewers Are Fucking Excellent

I know you don't care about the sewer situation in Los Osos. I'm sorry I keep bringing it up. It is such a trainwreck, though - I can't look away.

Right now the Regional Water Quality Control Board is refusing to publicly release the names of the 50 people who will be forced to spend $2,400 this year pumping their septic tanks. The new Los Osos Sanitation Board, the people voted in to replace the old board who agreed to a new sewer, are reluctantly coming to the conclusion that they will have to have a sewer; the people of Los Osos are howling at them for selling out. The new board wants to re-apply for the grant money they mis-handled last time. The City of Los Osos is being sued by the contractors who started work on the sewers that were called off.

In the middle of all this, a crazy activist named Gail is spearheading a new citizens' group called Solidarity Against Fines and Enforcement. Fabulous! That's so great! What Los Osos needs now is another player in this debacle! I would have LOVED to be at that meeting; the righteous indignation must have been sky high. There is only one way this story is going to end, but I bet this group can add MONTHS of turbulence and expense. For some reason Gail herself isn't even in the proposed sewer hook-up. She's just opposed to the principle of it! Go, crazy activist lady! I'm with you, sister.

The thing I love most about SAFE is that it gives me such a clear look at my destiny. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be a crazy activist lady one day. When my husband dies of too much good cooking, the kids can't be bothered to call their own mother anymore, and I don't want to be home with all the cats, I'm going straight down to City Hall. I will have causes and form organizations; I will write strongly-worded letters to the editor. I will be at every City Council meeting. The councilmembers will wince as I approach the podium, but you better believe I'm gonna use my full three minutes. It is not just foreseeable, it is my inexorable fate. Use your tactics, crazy activist lady! I watch and learn.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

No. Your car is too clean on the inside. In order to be a gadfly, you must have a car that is so full of crap you can't see out the windows.

Did you read all the buzz about Cadiz this week?

7:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hey hon,

My car is sporadically clean. I'm sure it will be filled with pamphlets and clippings by the time I'm old.

I DID see the stuff about Cadiz. Did Kahn get the Met directorship?

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home