html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: And I met some cool readers. Y'all are neat.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

And I met some cool readers. Y'all are neat.

I have all sorts of reasons for wanting to not have a cell phone. But whatever. We can talk about that next week.

Dennis and Anand and I went to the Natural History Museum today; Dennis and I spent the afternoon scaring ourselves with the fossils. They're HUGE!

"See the jaw of that giant shark! You could stand in that jaw!"
"But not for long... ."

"OK, dire wolves, they're like wolves, which are already scary, only they're bigger! They would hunt you down in packs, bigger, faster packs!"

"What if... you were just sitting in your second story window, reading your book, and all of a sudden, a giant sloth reared up and looked in the window. What would you DO?"

"See, like, that's bigger than a hippo. Only it is fast, and all carnivore and has claws and teeth. I mean, you'd just have to hope it wasn't hungry when it saw you."

Two hours of that was super fun. And Anand and Dennis and I all knew with all our hearts that the answer to the question: 'so, if you were the geneticist in charge of the top secret project to extract DNA and make dinosaurs, would you go through with it?' was HELL YES. We would know full well it was a terrible plan the entire time and we would absolutely make dinosaurs and giant mammals again. Then we would watch them FIGHT!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were a vegetarian? "Make them fight" doesn't sound like you're being very kind to animals at all.

Justin

11:03 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Just want to throw out a "hey there" to the three folks who met us at Open City and then ice cream. That was cool, and I had a good time!

For those of you who missed it... we sat at a lovely table outside. It was warm and nice out. Then black clouds appeared—and I'm serious—out of nowhere. One minute later a few tiny drops fell. Twenty seconds later it was dumping as hard a rain as I have ever been in.

People! This kind of weather is not normal! Tone it down, you're scaring the Californians!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Megan the vegetarian would insist on a clean fight. No biting, scratching, eye-gouging, or hitting below the belt.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great meeting all you guys too. I should have stayed on for ice cream; I was the big loser at poker!

Dave

5:27 PM  
Blogger Erasmus Brock said...

I had a great time too. And yeah, Dave, you should have stayed - the ice cream was magical. But your spirit, and Telnar's, stayed with us throughout. Even so, I'll fill in your non-spirit parts on how the rest of the evening went:

We were all, "I wonder where there's an ice cream shop" - whoops, sorry Megan, I forgot when we are - we were all, "I wonder where there's an ice cream shoppe?" Then two ladies ambled (well, one ambled, the other mosied) in front of us, eating ice cream cones!

Convinced that fate badly wanted us to eat ice cream, we followed their drippings down the sidewalk, up some stairs, and into DC's Best Chinese 31 Flavors. Once we were satisfied we'd licked up all those drippings, we ordered all the "peanut, pretzel, & popcorn" ice cream we could hold, then gorged. Then onto the Metro, until eventually we had to part ways with each other and your spirits.

P.S. I hadn't even realized that Dennis really looks like his avatar/cartoon/picture, including the hat! (but, alas, no fireworks...) Inspired, I made my own avatar - check it out! Do the pants make my butt look big?

11:29 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Nah, the pants work. What I really envy is the monkey!

Don't feel bad you didn't see fireworks when we met... I'm already married.
;)

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that the Natural History Museum inspires a lot of thoughts. Here some things that always occur to me:

What would happen if the glass aquariums and pipes with all the bees in them leading to outside developed a crack, allowing bees to fly into the museum?

After the bees fly free and everybody leaves the museum in a panic, would you take the opportunity to steal the Hope Diamond and give it to somebody you love? And just how would you wear a flawless diamond the size of a hubcap? I bet there's a rapper who could make the look work for him.

And has the anthropology wing really not been updated since 1905? I mean, there is one display that actually says something like "Japanese agriculture has recently adopted modern Western implements like hoes and plows with iron blades."

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. If you can get one of those fights going, you'll have to get a stick to keep those bearded grad students at a distance.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home