html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Results! Scandal! Bacon!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Results! Scandal! Bacon!

Results
Ali's and my cherry pie took:
3rd place overall
1st place presentation (because Ali cut cherry shapes out of the top crust).
One of your peers, a reader who knows me from here, took first place in the fruit pie division, with a yummy peach-blueberry pie. Congrats to Helen and Jen!


The winning pie was a chicken pot pie, a surprise victory from the Savory Pie division. After I announced that it won Best In Show, the baker stood up to announce the recipe. He used Bisquik in the bottom crust! Violating the rule that a pie is baked in a round dish with sloped sides and an unleavened bottom crust! I didn't know what to do! Stand up and disqualify the "pie"? Shame him in front of everyone? Second place was by only one vote, out of a couple hundred. Maybe his Chicken Pot "Pie" would have won from the "That's Not a Pie" category, which I created for exactly this type of nasty situation, but we'll never know now. I kept my peace and he kept his victory, but as far as I am concerned, there'll forever be an asterisk next to his name in the records.


It arrived too late for judging, but you might like to know there was a savory bacon cheesecake at tonight's contest. The top was a woven bacon lattice. Sadly, I don't think anyone got a picture. I heard it was very rich.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Nice title. Just add b\oo\bies and you'll have an avalanche of hits...

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ohkay Megan, I'll let Allan down gently and we can turn the win over to the very yummy peach-blueberry pie.
- Nicky

1:20 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

OH NO! Don't tell him! He was so happy! Leave him with the win!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I missed pie contest, I suck!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

muahaha! I won the NON-FRUIT pie division (there were only three pies in it, so it's not as glorified as it sounds :)
-Mel

4:13 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've been forced to make rules, which I never wanted to do. Now I'm forced to enforce them as well, which is an additional burden to put on someone who only wanted to hold a pie contest and bring some joy into the lives of her friends. I always hope that I can appeal to people's better natures and their native senses of right and wrong. I post the rules weeks in advance, so that no one can be confused about what is and isn't a pie. Still, people choose not to hear what they don't want to hear. They have to push the boundaries for some small advantage over all the people who want to belong to a civilized society where everyone does her part to abide by the simple rules of a community event.

A pie is baked in a round dish with sloped sides and an unleavened bottom crust.

But whatever. Enter your pie where you will. Only you will know if you sleep peacefully at night, or if cheating the people you live among in slight but detectable ways will plague the tattered remains of your conscience.

Maybe it is worth it to you, placing in Pie Contest. There isn't even a prize, you know.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home