html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Odds and ends:

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Odds and ends:

  • I'll be taking the Flood Fighting Methods day-long course this month. I really like the idea that if I am called out for flood fighting this winter, I will have some idea what to do.
  • Ali joined me for my lunch-time swim yesterday. She was a collegiate national champion swimmer. I haven't seen her sprint yet, but when she isn't trying, her cruising speed is exactly twice as fast as mine. At the end of a lap, I looked up to see that a crowd had gathered on the deck to watch her strokes and turns. I bragged about her, of course, but wish that I had a good enough eye for swimming that I could appreciate her technique as well.
  • I subbed in for a friend yesterday and gave a lecture at Sac State. I'd forgotten how much I love being in front of a class. I should see if I can find a lecturing gig somewhere, because that much attention leaves me exhilarated.
  • Also, I tried Ali's fixed-gear a couple nights ago. Her bike was too tall for me, but it was FUN. Now I have to find a non-poserish way to ride a fixed-gear. The kids all ride with no hands, so naturally I've started too. I can take corners with no hands now, and should admit that I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. (The kids also ride around standing on their crossbars and handlebars, and I have no desire to copy that at all.)


    I don't mean to be a tease, but I have to mention this and I don't have time to write it up. It seems kinda like leaning in close and talking in a low breathy voice while playing with your buttons, but I'm still gonna do it. Here's a promise for you, baby. After lunch, more Los Osos.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems kinda like leaning in close and talking in a low breathy voice while playing with your buttons, but I'm still gonna do it.

That's bad? Sometimes it's more fun than what comes next ...

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must be traveling at relativistic speeds for the clock has slowed down to a crawl...please post the Los Osos news!

1:03 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

Does this mean we can reconvene the debate on whether you should be on a fixed gear at all?

By the way, I used to ride my freewheel-equipped bike for miles in my neighborhood without touching the handlebars and without difficulty (unless a car freaked me out). Does a fixed gear actually make that any easier?

5:40 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I think the debate on whether I should be on a fixed gear is over now that I've tried one and liked it. The new discussion is how I can ride a fixed-gear without revealing myself as the 34-year-old poser that I am.

11:04 AM  
Blogger bobvis said...

I don't think I mentioned it at all on that last thread, but I have to point out my preference for "poseur" to "poser". Not that "poser" is wrong per se.

Ok, I'm done. Back to Los Osos.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Poseur is east coast, all continental and shit. Poser is west coast, and back when I was in junior high specifically meant people who pretended to be skateboarders.

I think having brakes on my fixed gear would go a long way towards making it uncool enough for me. I am also told that in this town, riding a white Bianchi pista will immediately identify me as late to the trend. If I do that intentionally, am I then being all ironic about it?

4:02 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

No. I think that's short of ironic. Bianchi makes good bikes though which are somewhat affordable and pretty. I haven't seen that model, but it might be popular because it's a good choice. (imagine that!)

A front brake is mandatory so that you don't kill yourself and leave behind an orphaned blog. (See your prior post on the cliff-diving dude for what we would then think of you.) If the brake makes you uncool too, so much the better. (Don't get a rear brake. It won't help.)

5:31 AM  
Blogger bobvis said...

Oh, by the way, it's not like I know squat. That was Sheldon Brown's influence talking:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

From looking at the Bianchi web site, the white Pista is $1400 whereas the "gang green" and chrome ones are $580. http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_track.html
So, that's a $820 irony upgrade.

I think the best way to
avoid poser-ness (thanks for setting me straight on the terminology) is to use those how-to-be-handy skills you got a few posts back and convert someone else's old bike.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home