html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Genuinely asking.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Genuinely asking.

Anonymous said...
You SERIOUSLY do not sing that song out loud do you?? Aren't you super intelligent or something?
6:58 PM
A658:

Are you the friend who came over from Dizzy's blog and had the same objection before, that a smart person shouldn't be encouraging Dizzy to be goofing around with her friends in an occasionally sexualized way? I ask because I didn't understand the reasoning before and I am hoping you'll explain it to me here. You'll get a respectful listen from me and everyone here.

To answer you: yes. I sing that song all the time, along with Eminem and Nate Dogg’s Shake That, the lyrics of which I dislike more, and also Digital Underground’s Freaks of the Industry, which is way better because the sex sounds more fun and it has multiple choice questions! I sometimes feel bad singing along to words I don’t approve of, but I get over it if the song is catchy. (I have zero tolerance for misogynistic lyrics AND bad beats. Zero.) I particularly like the refrain I quoted, because he starts singing in the middle of his rap and he just sounds so happy. His singers all join in, and it cracks me up to think of them studying their cues and discussing “Come in on ‘looooove pussy’?”. So yes. I sing that song out loud; Ali and I cruise past adorable little bungalows singing that in unison; when I get home from work, I like to make an entrance by slamming the front door open and belting out “Now my dick’s on hard, you know what I’m thinking…”. You know. Like everyone does.

All that said, I was surprised how aversive it was to have those lyrics on the front of my blog today. I couldn’t have been surprised there were there. I typed those lyrics in, checked them for accuracy and hesitated a while before hitting publish. I didn’t post them by accident or anything. But I didn’t like seeing them. I visited my blog less often and clicked through to the comments faster. The song isn’t wholly vile; his lover wants to be there and gets off first. But he doesn’t really linger over his admiration for her personality. In fact, he doesn’t mention her personality. Those lyrics aren’t the worst in the song and they were unpleasant when not sung in a cheery voice. I regretted putting them up.

So yeah. There are good reasons to reject that song, primarily that it demeans the very women he’s fucking. But anyone with decency can see that. It takes no special smartness to figure out that one. So I don’t get what bugs you about ME singing that song. Why is that more surprising to you?

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

VERY much a fixed gear devotee? Yet you don't do the cabbage patch? No, Ms. Introspection, I very much doubt that you are VERY fixed gear. Keep trying.

Here's a suggestion: take a deep breath, practice up on that horizontal air-otation that so compliments and contrasts the vertical circularity of a single-speed ride, and stop neglecting the cabbage patch.

P.s. There will be no barging in and there will be no dissing.

2:43 AM  
Blogger bobvis said...

So I don’t get what bugs you about ME singing that song.

I think it's possible to take the whole non-judgmental thing too far. I assume that Anon658 isn't your friend in whom you are confiding about your heroin addiction. It seems perfectly appropriate for someone like him to be surprised and perhaps even disappointed. You give the impression you are proud of your singing, so I can see how people would be justified in asking questions about it.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps we're reading too deep here and it's a simple matter of the poster believing "smart" people wouldn't even listen to music "like that"?

As in - "Sniff. Please. It's so lowbrow. Only proles listen to that trash."

Or perhaps he's a member of the "Members of intelligensia don't like sex" tribe?

Too bad for him. He probably wouldn't like a tub with flames on it either.

BTW - Ice T's "Girl Tried to Kill Me" is much better for singing and groovin' to while skating...

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck yeah, it's a great song. A big hit at my top 10 college and law school. Smart people, indeed.

I think it's always a little surprising when seemingly proud/enlightened women partake in such misogynistic shit. Like just because we're smart and believe that women deserve the same as everyone else and we stand up for ourselves that we should listen only to angsty-women-centric music.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird. I leave for a few months to buy a house, move, have a kid, and various other stuff, and when I come back there's suddenly all this drama that seems to span multiple blogs for several months.

If I had known this was going to turn into a soap opera, I'd have paid closer attention. Now I feel the same way I do when I start watching an HBO series half-way through the second season. Apparently there are hot, drunk law students involved. When can I get the DVD compilation to catch up on everything I've missed?

--mith

7:33 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Kwindla:

I'm not ANY fixed-gear yet, cause I've slacked on getting my frame painted, so Sage hasn't put her together yet. Single speed on my other bike....

HEY WAIT! I'm all answering you seriously, and you're joking around with Professor's Kleiman's letter. I get it! That's funny.

Get back to the mission, break out the whipped cream and the cherries...

BobVis:

A658 isn't a non-judgmental friend and I don't expect that of him or her. But I don't understand this disconnect and I've seen it twice now. So I want to.

I am not proud of my singing; it isn't good or anything. But I do it 'cause it is fun.

Jon:

I'm also wondering if there is some "smart people don't like such graphic lyrics". But I don't know which it is, and I'm curious. I will give "Girl Tried to Kill Me" a listen.

A714:

Well, there's a lot of ground between Gimme That Nut and angsy-women-centric music. I do have qualms about it. Best would be super catchy songs, graphic or no, that aren't misogynistic. Prince does a nice job of that. But if they're catchy and the beat is good, I'll like the song anyway.

Mith:

BABY?! HOUSE?! Send me pictures, please!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger susan said...

Don't forget that the particular refrain you quoted is sung to the tune of the Green Acres theme. Even more amusing and out of place in the middle of all the rapping.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

See, someone mentioned that in the last thread, but I didn't catch the reference. I don't know the Green Acres theme, so I didn't know it is even funnier.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I just looked it up. That's even funnier.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goddamn. Now my day is ruined - Green Acres rap about "plowing the fields".... RUINED I tell ya....GET THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!! AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Must clense brain. Must clense brain. Must eat Cheez Doodle.

Meggie - this is all your fault. I just KNOW I'm going to be singing this absentmindedly while squeezing mangos at the grocery store tonight....

2:04 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

One thing about GTN that makes me wonder is that Eazy kinda seems blase about the whole enterprise: Fuck this shit just let me put my dick inside makes everything seem so workaday.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh my god - that night (kept the bra on folks) was so not about sex. But wow. Yeah. That was one of mine. I somehow missed that when it happened (I think I was curled up in a ball under my aunt's afghan watching House Hunter reruns for about three weeks).

Thanks for sticking up for me. I love how kind you always are to everyone. And I feel terrible that my blog and my problems brought meanness to people who had nothing to do with any of it.

Ps - Thanks for the "I think she rates highly" part too, but I have to confess, I can't spell worth a darn :)

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home