html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Hi. My name is Megan and I'm writing a book.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hi. My name is Megan and I'm writing a book.

In the summers between 6th - 9th grade, I took this summer school class called Imagineering. We built canoes one year; aquariums made out of film another year. Did all our own construction. If I weren't so tired, I'd pull some clever stories out of that and tell you about my friends Rosa and Kohji. We learned how to keep lab notebooks and meteorology and rough engineering sketching. I guess some of that was useful later. I can't trace much back to it. Except for one thing. One day the instructor pulled me and Rosa out of class and made us go over to the office and cold call a bunch of engineering firms to send us film samples. Cold calling is still hard, but I think that may have been the most useful single lesson I have ever gotten.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, I took the same class one summer. What I remember most is that the instructor taught us Tai Chi.

Funny, eh?

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cold calling is probably the hardest thing in my life right now.

Of course I have a really cushy life.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Alan! That's right! Did we overlap, or did you take it the year before me? I remember the Tai Chi!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I was the year before you. We didn't do aquariums and film.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I bet that's how my parents heard about the class.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is an aquarium made out of film?

12:24 PM  
Blogger kov said...

It's a lot like an aquarium that's made out of glass, except that ....

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home