html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: That's cool. How much fun can you have spending $300 anyway?

Sunday, May 13, 2007

That's cool. How much fun can you have spending $300 anyway?

The car I’m using on my trip got towed. Well, it didn’t just “get towed”. The asshole neighbor called the tow company, to have it towed because it was in the road! There were no signs about parking, and I had been very careful to not park on his lawn. I pulled my right tire up to the edge of his lawn, and that meant the body of the car was on the street, which is apparently not legal here in this small town where they don’t have sidewalks or gutters and I guess being on the asphalt is not where you are supposed to park even though I looked carefully for signs and it is actually quite common in civilized countries to park along the side of the road. The towing company bent me over; $300 dollars later, I got the car back. My impression was that the neighbor enjoyed the process; I can only hope that he gets back the love and friendliness he puts out in the world.

I called Chris and Anand to tell them what happened and use profane language. Chris asked if I broke into the impound lot and stole back my car. What? Yeah, Chris said. Remember that guy from our old co-op? Remember how his car got towed, and he broke into the impound lot and stole it? And then sued them for the value of his car? And then sold his car in Nevada? I don’t think I ever knew that story, but right now, that guy sounds like a combination of Einstein and Robin Hood. I never really liked or disliked him, but today he’s my hero.

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Glad you're back. Re: a couple posts ago, I can't speak for others, but I often don't read comments; I just read the post and respond. Probably about 75% of the time. That could be why most of us didn't respond to particular ugly comments. Sorry about that. When I see unkind posts, I usually respond. At least I like to think so.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hey Joe. Glad to be back. Not reading the other comments is a pretty good reason not to respond to them.

8:48 PM  
Blogger ge315 said...

I had a car towed once. If I'd had a nuke, they'd have been sorry. Many years later, I have neighbors who park on our 'grass'. It makes a mess, at times. I don't call the cops, because I know it would just create problems. But, every time I see it, for one brief moment, I go to the dark side. It's weird, being human.

WRT the personal attacks: I started reading here when I read about the reaction your post got. I'm glad I did.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your car was parked on a street, rather than in a private parking lot, I would certainly think that the police must have approved the tow. A private towing company can't tow a car from public property without police approval.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

The police did approve the tow. I understand now that I was in the road. It is just that I usually think that the first car width is where you park. Now I know to pull up on the grass.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO you're not allowed to park on the side of the road? And there are no signs saying so? That's crap.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you'd be surprised. I bought half a set of cams yesterday for about $300, and we're going to have all kinds of fun together.

Anyway, this kind of crap happens. I got ticketed in my old neighborhood in Illinois last year when I went back to visit friends for parking on the street. I lived there 8 years and never heard of any law against street parking. My neighbors did it all the time. There were even other cars parked on the street, but I was the only one with out of state plates, so I won the ticket.

I found out later that there's a little sign that spells it all out as you enter the neighborhood, but there's no way you'd ever be able to read it as you drove by.

Justin

10:39 AM  
Blogger bobvis said...

For a split second, I felt good upon reading this because it didn't cost that much when my car got told.

I'm pretty sure there is some portion of my mind that is pure evil. Luckily it doesn't come out to play much.

2:42 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

Ok, for more than a split second I felt bad when I realized I spelled "towed" as "told".

4:25 AM  
Blogger lil miss dubin said...

that sounds like a co-op story if i've ever heard one. love that. ps: v. sorry about your car!

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home