html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: My 'No Backtracking' rule for life applies here too.

Monday, April 30, 2007

My 'No Backtracking' rule for life applies here too.

It is weird that getting a couple big links should be an event for a weekend, since it isn’t like anything happens*. But of course I followed it all and read what people said. When you write a personal blog, one of the risks is that when some people read, instead of evaluating the topic I introduce, they evaluate me. People tell stories to explain things, and since they don’t know me they fill in the blanks and motivations with their experiences and biases. It is odd, to read people condemning you based on their attributions. It is also amazingly hard not to defend yourself. The strong temptation is to read closely, discover the discrepancies between their assumptions and what you know of yourself, respond to them and add a little zing. I still want to.

But I’m not. First, it would require that I spend more time in their headspace and perception of me. There are a million better things I could think about. They would respond, so I would get a second dose of whatever they think and I’d be very surprised if we found middle ground quickly. And then, I think the root of a lot of that worldview is the same need for agency to explain outcomes, which is really a need to blame the person to whom bad things happen, so that the world is a fair place. But we had that conversation and I can’t inflict a repeat of that on the patient readers who were here the first time. Finally, I don’t have to accommodate or explain anything, because I don’t need anything out of this blog that I don’t already have. (Well, I need you guys to introduce me to your hot single friends.) I have a crew that keeps up and jokes with me, so I know that is possible without any adjustment on my part. In the end, I decided that you can either be funny or worry about what humorless people think. That's not a hard choice for me.











*Which isn’t to say that nothing happened in my weekend. I played catch all three days; in fact I played in my first tournament of the year on Saturday. Man, I need a burst of speed. I was open deep a lot, which I can only attribute to the fact that this early in the season, those other women aren’t conditioned either. My super awesome teammate sent it for me every time, but most of those times I just could not close on the disc. How do you sprint the length of the field, get there and speed up for the catch? Is it just brute force being in shape? Wind sprints and plyos, yeah yeah. But getting faster at the end of your run, how do you make yourself do that? (I’d love suggestions for specific drills, if you know them.)

Also, my sister and I went to see that burnt out freeway in Oakland. Pretty incredible destruction.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Run up hill. You'll build strength and endurance. Hike long distances at a fast pace with weight, same ideas as above, but more endurance.

Justin

2:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hah hah hah! Hills! We don't have those here in Sac. They have them in Oakland, though. Weekend workout? I should do that.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think ankle weights help a lot for speed.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's as effective for running, but interval training works for this on a bicycle. It will certainly help you overall, so you might want to try for a bit....

s.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno about how to get that burst of speed. I find that I've got it when I've beaten the defense and just have to run down the disc, but struggle otherwise. That makes me think it's mental.

I also find that making more than 2-3 long cuts (including time on D) in a point tires me out real fast.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't like ankle weights. You want to carry weight up higher on your body, at least at your hips so your whole lower body is moving the weight.

You don't workout on the weekends? What the hell do you think the weekends are for? That's when you have the time to get in your best workouts.

Justin

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno...if your teammate kept overthrowing you they are far from super awesome. Maybe nifty or keen, but a super awesome teammate would have adjusted to your actual abilities.

3:22 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

The one time I got an A-lister link was in 2005. It didn't change my life that much.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i second justin's suggestion for running up hill. i run sprints in my cemetary in oakland and when i run around the lake (flat) i feel like i am flying.

you can come sprint with me sometime.
-sarah

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best would be to have teammates who throw it to where you are rather than to some place further when you're not going to make it.

If you have to adjust for that, then don't sprint all out in order to get open the first time, save a little for the end.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i run sprints in my cemetary in oakland

"My" cemetery? You rarely hear that from live people :)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

As always, there are two ways to run faster: increased turnover or increased stride length.

It's probably easiest to increase stride length through paying attention to form. Get your knees a little higher, feel your hips open just a bit more.

It is possible to practice that by concentrating on your form during your windsprints.

Longish, two-speed "sprints" might be helpful, too.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am definitely alive. (and i forgot to mention, my cemetary is on a big hill)

-sarah

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a hill worth running up, too. Those long-dead people in Oakland hog one of the best views of the bay.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

I still say it's a frisbee. Not a disc, a frisbee! Yeah, I don't play for an ultimate frisbee team, but I know what I grew up with.

I'll accept my permanent ban from this blog comments section with good grace. Frisbee!

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, of course, running _up_hill is one of those tried-and-true conditioning things.

One interesting technique I read about (and tried, long ago, when I was a high-school track coach) is running _down_ hill - maintaining form and increasing legspeed. Nothing really steep, just a 5deg slope or so, but you'll find yourself running faster than you thought you could and having to really focus on form and legspeed.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, you really need to start taking responsibility for your political beliefs.

The phrase "the need for (an) Agency to explain outcomes" is totally something a libertarian would say.

-john

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

per Tom's comment -- I think it's harder to change your running form much, but easier to work on quick turnover.

Mixing bursts of fast in with regular running pace will help too, and anything else that gets you to move faster than you thought you could - like doing one extra superfast burst when mentally you already thought your legs were shot.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you people are all crazy. None of your drills are going to make a person run faster at the end of a sprint. The only way to run faster at the end of a sprint is to run slower during some other part of the sprint. If you look at the 10m split times for world class 100m sprinters no one runs faster at the end. If they can't do it, neither can you. All you can do is make yourself not slow down as much.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most of us have been ignoring the "running faster at the end of a sprint" comment. Obviously, if you're already running as fast as you can, you're not going to be able to run faster.

Justin

9:50 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm sure that world class sprinters can't get faster at the end of their sprints.

Slow mediocre runners who train haphazardly and who probably doesn't know what her real limits are for running down a field could probably do quite a lot to get another gear.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcus!
FRISBEE is a trademarked name! And a bad word. Shame on you! :)
-Mel

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to get better at sprinting there are a lot of good resources available -- Charlie Francis is a world class coach and has a lot of free stuff on his website; Kelley Baggett is also a good coach (but not quite as credentialed as Francis) with lots of free information.

If you really want to sprint faster you need to improve your technique and become stronger (via gym time with exercises like squatting).

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weights can mess up your stride and your skeleton, I'd definitely recommend hills and make sure to keep your hips forward, and really try to crest the hill (so you are running at 100% on the last bit of the hill and power over the top) but take it really easy or walk back down to save the knees. Also, stadium steps repeats are a killer workout. The old stadium at stanford would have been perfect for you because the top 20% actually got steeper, maybe you can find something similar.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I miss all the good stuff these days.

Want to run faster sprints? Then run more sprints. Warm up, then get out the stop watch, go to the field, and time yourself once a week. Have to know where you came from to know where you're going. You don't have to spend all day out there, you're not an olympic sprinter, just 20-30 minutes. Make your lungs and legs burn!

After a few weeks, your gains will decline. Then you change up the middle of your workout week; you want to throw some weight on your back and really push your muscles to the limits of what they're used to (and beyond when you get better at it). You want to make sure your legs are strong, but you also don't want to neglect your core. All your twisting and turning and moving starts with your middle, so make sure you're working your core! Overhead squats, back extensions, situps, lunges, and... well, lots of things.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

UN!!! You're back! Dude, nothing's changed.

You gonna meet me at McKinley Park and time me?

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home