html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: New things in my house.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

New things in my house.

Last time I was in Los Osos, a kind person lent me a box full of videos of old Community Services District meetings. You can imagine how impatient I've been to watch those! Butcept, I can't, 'cause I don't have a tv or vcr. I mentioned that to Margie and she offered to lend me a little joint tv/vcr that they never use. Then she brought it over, and now I have a tv in my house.

I am very skeptical. A tv. In my house. I haven't lived in a house with a tv since I went away to college. What will it do? Right now it is on a table in the living room. It isn't plugged in, so I don't think it can hurt anything. Still, I give it a wide radius, walking in a cautious circle, never turning my back on it. I will have to plug it in to watch all these years-old public meetings, but I suppose it is worth it. I expect it to come alive at night and strangle me in my sleep. If they find my strangled body, it was the tv.

**********************

I decided that I am tired of being an ignorant peasant; I am ashamed of my poor knowledge of geography. I decided to solve my ignorance about countries of the world in the most classic manner. I bought a map-of-the-world shower curtain. I will study the shower curtain as I lather my breasts (you're welcome) and I will no longer miss the geography questions at Pub Quiz.

**********************

Ali goes away to Peace Corps on July 23rd and I will be despondent. Nothing could cheer me. Nothing at all. Nothing but a really hot new roommate. Rebecca is moving in for five weeks before she too moves away. That gives me until mid-September to figure out the rest of the move to Oakland. It looks like I'll rent the place to a couple of guys from Ultimate. Wow, I have a lot of work to do to get ready for that.

13 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

I'm very worried. I'd see if some of your geek friends can burn those videos to DVD for you, 'cause, you know, TV is a gateway drug.

As for the map, well, cool (or, err, hot). Best thing I got from a National Geographic subscription was maps of the World, Europe, and the US. I love how in the US the states start off 7uuuuuuuy

12:07 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

Sorry, the cat(s) interjected. Better sort them out.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

TV is a gateway drug

And a midnight strangler!!!!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep accidentally flagging your blog as having objectionable content.

The flag is right there at the top near all of my browser tabs.

Justin

12:50 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Accidentally? All my foul language and diatribes against libertarians don't get me a deliberate flagging for objectionable content?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You should also get a DVD player and watch the boxed set of all the episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

As much as I would enjoy seeing you drill in geography with your chosen method, the puzzles at
http://www.yourchildlearns.com/geography.htm
might be even MORE effective.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Justus said...

The best way to learn geography is to play Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Also: the Christian Scientist mother church in Boston has a three-story stained-glass mapparium. The best part is it was originally built in 1935 so 80% of the country names are wrong. But at least you'll know where Siam and Romania are.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I know where Siam was! I'm not that ignorant.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't be afraid of the TV, miss... it's the stone-aged banging of rocks compared to the capabilities of your fine personal computer, and best of all, not even remotely addictive.

not
at
all

not even a little.

Also? While a map shower curtain is an interesting thought... map sheets would be a far more interesting way of learning the countries and their relationships... after all, there are worthwhile places to visit all across the map...

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with JP on the Buffy thing.
-dithers

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's this about moving to Oakland?

(your newest fan hoping to meet you in Sacto during Delta hearings sometime in the next year or so)

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll know the shower curtain has worked when you can name the world's two double-landlocked countries (i.e. countries that have at least two other countries between them and the sea in every direction).

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home