html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: She never did return the garbage can.

Monday, September 17, 2007

She never did return the garbage can.

Bec left today. That month went fast. She was another great roommate, funny and sharp and interesting. Bec and Nisha and I went to Pancake Circus for a very early breakfast today, but nothing like this happened. (Um, NSFW. But DUDE! What a great way for a local diner to be famous. If you visit here, we could go to Pancake Circus.) Anyway, she's gone and the house is quiet. I've liked having roommates again this past year. But the house is mine again, for the last few weeks before my long drawn out move to Oakland finally happens.

Tonight I moved back into an arrangement I love. I read about it in A Pattern Language, where it spoke of dressing rooms. I now have two private rooms, which means I can separate the functions of sleeping and dressing. It is so nice. My bedroom now contains a bed, a little bookshelf and a big bookshelf. No clothing. It works so well. Your bedroom never gets messy; you make the bed in the morning and the room is restored. It is purely for sleeping and reading before sleep.

The other bedroom now has all my clothes. Too many of them; this is a good cue for another purge. Projects go there. Papers go there. I will sort and throw away a lot soon. I'm not a hoarder, as hoarding goes, but my sister is absolutely ruthless about throwing things out. Under her stern guidance, things will leave my house and all that stagnant chi will be released and happiness and clean energy will flow through me, especially as I do not have to pack or store that crap.

It is an extravagant amount of space for one person, but for a couple more weeks, that's what I've got. I am so pleased.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It is purely for sleeping and reading before sleep."

With an attitude like that you're never going to get laid.

Along similar lines, I've always wanted to separate the bathing and toilet in bathrooms. That they both require plumbing may have forced the co-location 40 years ago but there's little reason to continue that particular barbarism.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been doing the dressing room thing for 5 or 6 years. It's a pretty good idea, but I did not get it from _A Pattern Language_, which I found unreadable.

I got the idea from watching Beyonce on some TV show about the houses of famous people.

A4

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a nice post like this and realize exactly how much of a utility barbarian I am...

11:58 AM  
Blogger dcw said...

Doesn't everyone have this now? Even my kid has a seperate bedroom and playroom.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I hadn't seen it before I read about a couple years back. But I also don't spend much time in new houses.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Megan -- have you ever been to see this? Check it out, I think you'd be interested:

http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/CA3477/

3:34 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yep. The Bay Model is cool.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

I think I just outed myself as a total water policy neophyte...'tis true!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've been way into this stuff for nearly fifteen years. I should know more about it than people who have taken an interest more recently.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Along similar lines, I've always wanted to separate the bathing and toilet in bathrooms.

Already common in many high-end houses.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home