html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: What a girl wants.

Monday, October 08, 2007

What a girl wants.

My sister and I were looking at a fine afternoon of, you know, yardwork. I grabbed the shovel and looked around for the other. "Oh," she said. "I returned it to Matt." I looked at her, blinking. Only one shovel? How will we perform the rituals at the heart of our family? What will bind us, if not several hours of moving dirt on a beautiful crisp afternoon, the sisters working like dogs, the nephews playing along with toy shovels? With only one shovel, the other sister might... rest.

She said the oddest thing to me, right before she drove home from cleaning my porch. "Meggie, let's not have any more work weekends for a while." I knew the term 'work weekend', but the rest of the sentence was new to me and strange. Trees, bulbs and retaining walls don't plant themselves. I fled that confused household, with fewer shovels than able-bodied adults, and came back to Sacramento. I have my trusty shovel, a recalcitrant sprinkler system and a new plot at the community garden to turn over. The universe is back to its natural order.

5 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

Yikes.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Which part?

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is being considered for The Sacramento Bee's roundup of regional blogs, which appears Sunday in Forum.

The Blog Watch column is limited to about 800 words. Blog posts included in the column are often trimmed to fit. The blog's main address will appear in The Bee, and the online copy of the article will contain links to the actual blog post.

If you have questions (or you DON'T want your blog post considered for inclusion in the newspaper column), contact me at greed@sacbee.com

Gary Reed
Forum Editor

10:51 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

All of it! :) Your sister's traitorous behaviour, and your relentless need to work. Maybe you enjoy gardening, but to me it is all chore.

My girl has a similar relentless need to tidy up (the garden or the house). I'd much rather pursue my hobbies once some baseline tidiness has been reached, but I feel guilty so join on. Problem is I don't know what I'm doing most of the time (esp. in the garden) so I'll spend two hours standing around doing nothing which I really hate.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Of all the work options, gardening is a pretty good one. Outside, nice constant energetic demands, get to plant things, emotionally pleasant.

Contrasted with not-work, that depends. Not-work and feeling guilty about it is just not worth it. Not-work and feeling fine about it is great, but I generally need a playmate to direct me that way. I'm down with not-work, pure fun, once that's the plan.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home