html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: The nephews work too, but they're wiggly.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

The nephews work too, but they're wiggly.

Today I would like to sit with a little girl on my lap and read a book to her. I would gather her hair up, pull the sides off her neck, twist it softly and let the coil fall down her back. I wouldn't really read the book so much; they aren't all that great. I'd mostly just watch her, her face in profile or the back of her head. I'd ask her to point to birds on the page, or mice or cats. She'd be warm against my front, and tucked under my throat. Her hair would smell sweet. I'd tighten my arms around her, cuddle her until she gets bored and she goes back to the book. I'd keep a big stack of books next to our soft chair, so it lasts for a long time.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, it's awesome! I don't always appreciate that fact, so thank you for the reminder!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

Hey, what's wrong with little BOYS?

Not that I wouldn't have liked a daughter, but our 2 boys were pretty good.

Less that 3 more years until the nest is completely empty.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Little boys are perfect too.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

My wife still won't believe I was potty-trained before I was one.

Not because of my superb bowel-control, but because I was perfectly happy sitting on the potty all day while looking through picture books.

I would NOT have been too wriggly, although I am about as wriggly as you can get in non-bookreading situations.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they seem to like it a lot if you make funny voices to go along with characters, or sing songs if the words are particularly lyrical [sheep in a jeep and sailor pig are good for that]... if you play your cards right even when they can read to you, even when they are teenagers, they will still crawl on top of you when you start to read aloud. Because it still matters to them. They will also still want you to sing them lullabyes when they are sick.

Although mine also perch on me because I'm the warm bear...

4:16 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I don't have much experience with the juniors, but I can say cats make a very acceptable substitute. Purring is an amazing thing, and cats smell pretty good too. Both our cats are lap monsters -- no empty lap is safe in the evening.

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to hold a baby. I got to do that over the summer (twice!) and it was fun.

9:51 AM  
Blogger matt said...

My girlfriend's second grade class had their fall music program last night. They were all such cute cowboys and cowgirls.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine if a man had written this post ... readers would have tipped off the police and he'd already be in custody :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

the Other Paul: If you're single and prepared to more to California you've come to the right site. ;-)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

You're welcome any time! Mimi likes cats and mice. :)

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noel: But I want to hold a baby now, not nine months from now! ;-)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home