html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: There will be no pictures.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

There will be no pictures.

There are words that bring people closer together, kind words that bind sisters even tighter. There are also cruel, hateful words that reveal a jealous sister's dark and bitter heart. I will make a list, so that we know which are which:

Kind, sweet words:
homespun
form follows function, I guess
I see you made this by yourself.
authentic
how resourceful! to use our scrap lumber thusly
mostly vertical
simple, rustic
right angles aren't everything
unconditional
I get tired of commercial perfection.
Probably better than the four year old could have made.
I'm so proud that you tried.

Cruel, hateful words:
Dear god, what is that?
I'll hope for no strong winds.
Did you plan it like this?
Tomato cages are cheap.
We have a tape measure, you know.
Perhaps if you had sketched it first...

My sister'll be home from Santa Cruz in a couple hours. Then we'll see who she really is.

UPDATE: "Does it have to look like that?" Now we know...

I will admit that it is pretty out of scale to the yard. But I think it is going to be the right size for the tomatoes.

10 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

She'll most likely do what I did, which is stand back, look at it and laugh and laugh and laugh.

2:46 PM  
Blogger A. Marigold said...

Whatever it actually looks like, I am so impressed to read that this morning you decided to build it, and just a few short hours later, it is built. And all the better if you found it amusing at the end.

3:30 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

Duct tape mends all wounds.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aren't you supposed to be an engineer or something? :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

What would have been the point of making a thing that looks just like one you could have bought?

Job well done!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just nail pieces of plywood together at right angles without any brackets?

Are there nail ends sticking out every which direction?

I'm picturing something like I tried to build when I was 8.

Justin

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job!! When I had dirt for a garden I built my own tomato trellis. Just simple a-frames with ladder sides made of scrap lumber or cheap 1x2's. They last a couple of seasons. For tying the tomato vines up, I recommend ripping strips out of old t-shirts or bed sheets. :-D

Cheers,
Tim.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

No nail ends; there'll be little boys rummaging around it. But otherwise your picture is probably accurate.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Tomato plants can get well out of hand. Can you train them, like Bonzai trees?

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why on earth would you train them like Bonsai!? That would keep them small and stunted. You want to give them room to roam, lots of sun, nutrients, and water. Then they will take over the trellis and give you lots of yummy tomatoes.

With any luck, you'll be eating a tomato sandwich per day and sorting your ongoing harvest from "eat immediately" to "these'll keep". Oh how I miss growing tomatoes.

- Tim.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home