html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: There'll be no barging in; there'll be no dissin'.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

There'll be no barging in; there'll be no dissin'.

It is all a cover. Fresh Pepper is not an attorney living in New Jersey. Fresh Pepper is really an old housemate who is postdoc-ing at Stanford; he came to our gathering this weekend. When he asked me what was new, I told him about From the Archives. When he asked if my blog had a theme, I said it is: “I’m too dorky to get a boyfriend, despite my huge rack”. Then we had the following conversation (and if you are wondering how a person says such things, he says them in the most casual, affectionate murmur you can imagine).

Him: And is it working? Are you meeting guys?
Me: Yeah, I guess it is. I mean, really cool people are writing me, and I’m meeting someone for lunch tomorrow.
Him: Quick nooner?
Me: Um, I don’t think so. I’ve never met him…
Him: BJ, then? To say ‘thanks for lunch’?
Me: Dude, I’m vegetarian. How grateful do I have to be?
Him: So true, so true. Have you met anyone else?
Me: I’ve met a couple guys…
Him: Git yourself nice and spit roasted?
Me: You asking if I been the cross-bar in an A-frame?
Him: All the attention a pretty girl like you deserves. Eiffel Tower, baybee.
Me: No! No. Not spit roasted.
Him: But you keep blogging anyway? What for?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When he asked if my blog had a theme, I said it is: “I’m too dorky to get a boyfriend, despite my huge rack”

Er... guess that answers my question about politics.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Dubin said...

Oh my goodness. I don't know who "fresh pepper" is, but this can only be ONE person and I'm very jealous you hung out with him this weekend because I miss this person. Everyone misses this person when they are not with this person. It's got to be, isn't it? Who else can say that stuff? No one. No one else.

P.S. Who is Cladeeahh? Her tall blog is cracking me up.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I KNOW! I've seen him two or three times in the past year and I feel incredibly lucky. You should be more jealous, because he is staying at my house this weekend. You could fly out for Chris's party and be my guest, too.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was following the conversation until "cross-bar in an A-frame"...you might want to include a glossary like the good folks at http://www.samizdata.net/blog/

By the way, I had you confused with somebody else....for some reason I thought you were the Megan who is Jane Galt (Asymmetric Information)! How can I not tell an engineer from a journalist-economist? Maybe because you both seem to have a lot of interdisciplinary exposure.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Will said...

the truth at last.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just Fresh and your Stanford friend--all men think this way. The rest of us just haven't developed the skill of saying it so elegantly and succinctly. I've just acquired a new literary hero.

Also, the person who keeps asking for politics cracks me up.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch: easy, tiger.
Of course, what was I thinking? Women who are "stacked" can never have views on politics. You do make me laugh kiddo...

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home