html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: What will it take for you to believe me?

Friday, June 30, 2006

What will it take for you to believe me?






Why would you doubt me on this? Do you think I don't know what hops look like? Every year I ask for hops for my birthday and every year my friends are all "here, have this CD."

Top left: The guy catching the disc is our webmaster; the other guy is 6'2" or so. Engineer and chemist; so pretty.
Top right: Oh, man. That's Nick. I miss Nick so much since he moved to Boston. Nick is a baby; in his early twenties or something. We never thought about dating, 'cause he's twenty or so, but Nick and I got each other instantly. We first started talking at a Pie Contest and by the next time we saw each other he knew it was perfectly right for him to sprint the length of the field and lay out into my arms. He's tall, but he's about eighteen, so he hasn't put on his adult weight. For years we were always roughhousing on the sidelines; I don't think we ever walked through a door together without posting each other up. Oh Nick honey, why did you go? We could have started dating next year, when you turn sixteen and get your driver's license.
Bottom left: I don't know his opponent, but the guy in red is Jean-Michel, who breaks into my house to shower.
Bottom right: I don't usually get that view of Courtney. Usually I watch Courtney from behind as she accelerates past me.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bah, none of those people are really getting off the ground.

And, I went through this whole, I want to be able to jump, thing when I was in high school. I think I said this before, I maxed out at a 36" vertical. It took a lot of work.

So, if you really care to repeat it, mostly it was lots of situps, 1000 a night for a couple of years, well, 200 situps, then 800 crunches of one form or another. Lots of running on stairs, and a lot of nights standing outside under my basket grabbing the rim, 10 right foot left hand, 10 left foor right hand, 10 both feet both hands, repeat until you can't touch the rim anymore. Go back to shooting around, and repeat again.

Tons of fun, but, it seemed to work.

You should get to work.

Of course, the downside to being able to jump is how easily someone will blow by you if they can fake and get you in the air. But, then, you're talking about some frisbee game I don't know anything about, and I'm talking about basketball.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

My old master used to tell us to plant a seed of corn, then jump over it a thousand times every day. By the end of the season, you'll be jumping six feet high. When we were setting up for tournaments, the black belts used to horse around by leaping and kicking the basketball rim. Not me, though. My ankles are too ripped up.

They may not meet your high standards, but those are hops enough to get me all tingly.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does a guy have to get vertical before you will get horizontal?

Are hops either a necessary or a sufficient cause for nookie?

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There seems to be a solid amount of research arguing that plyometric exercises lead to greater hops. If you've got bad ankles, you can do these exercises in the water, which seems to be just as effective, if not more so. I found a ton of references with just a quick google on "plyometric vertical jump".

But then, maybe you'd rather have a CD.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be impressive to see. I'm like you, I love to see people who can really jump. I've heard of ballet dancers who have like 5 or 6' verticals.

But, the best I've seen in person was 42". Amazing to watch him play basketball. He was only 5'10", but he'd release his jump shot above the rim, and effortlessly grab boards over the heads of all the taller guys.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Not necessary - I've dated guys with no hops. Not sufficient - there are guys with hops at Ultimate that I'm not attracted to. But if you're sharp and funny, and you have hops or a deep voice, there is an excellent chance I'm thinking naughty thoughts about you.

Ennis - I could do the workouts to give me hops, but then I still couldn't do them because I would roll my ankles on the landing. I am stuck on the ground, envious.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why God made ankle braces.

What's wrong with your ankles anyway? I've sprained both of mine countless times. Several times bad enough to send me to a doctor. I imagine it's something worse than just the typical ankle injuries?

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized that your monitor is far wider than mine.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics, but isn't the "skying" thing just a gateway drug? If vertical leaps stir naughty thoughts, big layouts are going to be a whole new level of hot lusting.

Isn't that why we play ultimate instead of 500?

I just hope you can control yourself next time a guy gets himself horizontal for the disc.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I don't think it matters whether the leap is vertical or horizontal. I think it is the hang-time that makes hops so achingly sweet.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang time can only come from the vertical part of the leap. You should know that.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The right type of horizontal can make you feel like you have hangtime...

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home