html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: There were only six seconds left on the timer...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

There were only six seconds left on the timer...

I started painting my bedroom last weekend, so I had a lot of time to think. I kept coming back to more things I would say if I were a compulsive liar.

"I had never flown a helicopter before, but as I sat in the cockpit, the controls started making sense. I looked over at my friend, panting in the passenger seat. I didn't have much time to learn. If I didn't get her to the hospital fast, I was going to have to land this bird in the mountains AND deliver her baby."

and

"Now was the crucial moment. Would the grizzly remember that I had raised it from a cub? We had just fought off a mountain lion together, so that was a good sign. But it was injured from the battle... wounded, maddened."

It is just as well that I am not a compulsive liar. No one who loved her friends should make them listen to that many clichés.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

"While you were gone, this man from the insurance company came by looking for you. He said you have inherited ONE MILLION DOLLARS from a long lost, distant relative, but the caveat is that you have to spend several thousand of it tonight, and it must be spent on me. I accidently dropped his card into the toilet, but if you buy me that lovely dress, I might be able to recall his name and number.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home