html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: No honor among thieves.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

No honor among thieves.

A snide and fun editorial in the L.A. Times, laughing that it is San Francisco's turn to be put on the spot for its water-diverting past. It is something of a stretch for LA to claim credit for returning water to Mono Lake, which the LA Dept of Water and Power fought bitterly until they lost all their court decisions. And preserving the Owens Valley as a wilderness was an unintended side-effect of sucking it dry. Still, the editorial is a nice display of open gloating.

******

I'm not opposed to the sewer/park combination in downtown Los Osos, and I would also drink tertiary treated wastewater that had been blended into my city's drinking water reservoirs. So, I'm with the crew supporting the plan that the City of San Diego augment its water supply with treated wastewater. But I must say, their opponents won that fight years ago when they named the proposal "Toilet to Tap". Man, that's just untouchable. I've yet to see a newspaper article that doesn't reference that phrase. The pro-treated wastewater side tried to re-name it "Showers to Flowers", but is getting nowhere. Water from other sources is going to have to get a lot more expensive before SD will agree to this reasonable plan.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I've been trying to beat "Toilet to Tap." But it's such a natural winner.

"Crap to your tap"
"E. coli for everyone"
"If it's brown, gulp it down"

6:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

All those 't' s - so rhythmic!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank NASA for that one.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Go alliteration! Do people out there have "Toilet To Tap!" bumper stickers? If so I think that I'm a bit jealous...

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People let their housepets drink from the toilet, it's not *that* nasty.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the pro-treated wastewater drinking people need a mascot:
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/22/hooooowdyho_canadas_.html

-Mel

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's try that one again:
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/
22/hooooowdyho_canadas_.html

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no offense, but saying Owens Valley was "an unintended environmental benefit" is total bullshit. The air quality down there is awful because when the water was taken away, it turned into a dustbowl.
Fucking sanctimonious LA (tell us how you really feel Mel!).

-Mel

10:59 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

The air quality is horrible, and I have some awesome pictures of toxic dust storms I should post.

I just love seeing LA turn on SF like that.

11:18 AM  
Blogger amanda bee said...

I have a lot of family in the greater San Diego area, and what I really want is for all of them and their neighbors to quit with the lawns already. Christ. Or at least get some localized sewage treatment going and use that on the lawns.

I watched my aunt's subdivision being built over the course of the 80s. When I was a really little kid you had to drive an hour through chaparral to get to their little nest of red clay roofs on curling streets. By the time I left California the whole area was built up with subdivisions, each one with a lawn. They all water their lawns early in the morning, to save water, which only makes it worse, somehow these people living in a vast, vast desert have convinced themselves that they are conservationists.

Grrr. It is those subdivision building maniacs who could actually do something. They have the economy of scale. They could figure out how to recycle greywater within a subdivision and do it with all the polish that their buyers need to avoid feeling like big hippies, but they don't bother and no one makes them.

It isn't e. coli that I worry about drinking, it is all the birth control hormones that people pee out and the weird chemical cocktails people suck down to keep from going bald (and the HIV drug cocktails and the chemo pee, but I can't bring myself to hold it against someone that they are trying to stay alive) and all the other mind boggling chemical death that people pour down the drain.

My roommate from hell, she and I agreed that chemical stuff is no good, but when we found a closet full of tilex and ammonia in a new apartment, her idea was to pour it down the drain all at once and go buy eco-cleaner.

That is enough from me. Down with lawns.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home