html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Can't fight the filling.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Can't fight the filling.


The 6th Annual Pie Contest
Sunday, September 17th
.
Registration opens at 6:00pm.
Presentation judging will be promptly at 7:00pm.

Rules:
  • You can enter pie(s) in any division: Fruit Pie, Non-fruit Pie, Savory Pie, Presentation and That's Not A Pie.
  • A pie is baked in a round dish with sloping sides and has an unleavened bottom crust.
  • Cheesecake is not a pie. Pizza is not a pie.
  • Anyone may enter; everyone judges all pies.
  • Remainders of any pie must go home with the baker.
What to expect:
  • A big Pie Contest will have about forty-fifty pies, and I expect this year to be a big Pie Contest. We'll have table and tables of pie.
  • Each pie is assigned a number and gets judged anonymously. This is a pie contest, not a popularity contest.
  • Everyone will get a ballot. You can assign three points as you like in each division. You can give all three points to one pie that wins you over; you can give one point each to three delicious pies.
  • Pie Contest runs late because it takes so long to count the ballots. Winners will be announced at about 10pm.
  • I would love to meet you, but you won't get a chance to talk to me that night. Pie Contest is a blur of coordination for me.
Advice:
  • Eat a meal first. You'll be sick by the end of the evening if you don't and maybe if you do.
  • Berry pie virtually always wins the Fruit Pie division. Winner of the Fruit Pie division usually wins Best In Show. Peach pie often comes in third in Fruit Pie.
  • Don't bother entering the Fruit Pie division. Ali and I are going to win it this year.
  • Savory Pie never gets the attention it deserves. It should attract a much stronger field, especially considering that everyone is sick of sweets by the end of the night. Anything with bacon will do well.
  • Come even if you don't want to bake a pie. There is more than enough for every guest.
I hope to see you at Pie Contest! Bring your friends and family and your pies! Email me for my address - you are invited.


*************************
The title of this post and the idea for Pie Contest both came from The Gata, who was nothing but gracious when I told him I've been copying him for years.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"pies"= 0
"Idealism" =44

Now, there's food for thought.

Sorry, awful... I know. But hey, what do you expect with such a post heading? Blame Megan....

Billo.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Sometimes I have to put a tart in the That's Not A Pie division (no sloping sides). I've long thought that people don't use that division enough. I mean, most everything in the world isn't a pie. The category only has an inner limit, but no one seems to want to get creative (although Chris has won it with a Powerpoint presentation).

6:16 AM  
Blogger lil miss dubin said...

Oh my gosh! You knew the Gata too?! Everyone knows the dang Gata. (No, really, more people are connected to the Gata than are connected to Kevin Bacon.) And now that he's gone legit and moved to Philly, you're carrying on the tradition. That's brilliant. I wish I could come eat pie with you, but it's a bit of a commute.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who was the tart, and did anybody eat her?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Pandax said...

Yum, I had a lovely olallieberry pie over the weekend. Good, but maybe a touch too much sugar. I always believe in letting the fruit's flavor stand for itself as much as possible.

For those of us who can't be there, will we get to see pictures? :D I'm very curious about the "That's not a pie" category submissions.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will there be punch?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

aDubin!:
You know The Gata? I thought he was only famous in Ultimate circles. So did you know 'gilla and Longbody? 'Cause Longbody is my sister. I've only met The Gata a couple times, but mentioning my sister was enough to get a hug and a kiss from him.

PandaX:
Is it time for me to get a digital camera? Before Pie Contest?

UnderwearNinja:
There'll be punch if you bring it, but you'll probably want water, which'll be everywhere. You won't want anything sweet.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Pandax said...

Hmmm, could you at least borrow a camera for this? :)

Punch, maybe not... with some of these pies a coffee might be good, but I guess that would taint the judging eh?

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have a digital camera? Yes you should get one, they don't cost much, and they're so much fun.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=13077

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=13019

Get one of those. The first one is nice, it takes AA batteries. But, the 2nd one is much smaller.

Think of all the pictures you could be taking, and sharing! And these will take video too! Only short videos really, but, it's still cool.

Justin

4:42 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

ooo if only I could come. I bake a mean pumpkin pie. Apple too. And I make my own crust. if only writing a dissertation was as much fun as baking pies...

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is quiche a Savory Pie or Not a Pie?

Not that I'll fedex any up, mind you ;-)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Abby:
Door is open, and there's lots of pie inside...

10:45 anonymouse:
Quiche is a Savory Pie.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home