html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I've pulled the card "Light" more often than I'd expect. A new lamp for the dining room, maybe?

Saturday, March 03, 2007

I've pulled the card "Light" more often than I'd expect. A new lamp for the dining room, maybe?

Ali has a set of little cards that we keep in a bowl in the living room. Every day we pick two to tell us what the day will bring. I really like that all the cards are positive. That's the kind of bias I want to introduce into my life. Even so, some cards are better than others. Some days you get, like, Education and Responsibility. Fantastic. That's what I need in my life -- education and responsibility. But the practice started well. My first draw ever was Love, which I believe means nookie, and abundance, which means I can plant even more tomato plants this year. Today my cards were Delight and Forgiveness. Since I live a glamorous exciting life, I am especially delighted that my utility sink is clear and I can do all the loads of laundry I want. Forgiveness? I'm sure I'll do something that I'll need forgiveness for. Impure thoughts, if nothing better comes along.

Ali also has a daily horoscope on the fridge, for her birthsign. I was all "Dude, where's the one for Aquarius?" But she didn't get me one, so instead I read hers, knowing that it is guaranteed not to be mine. Today, I shouldn't conclude that a chapter has drawn to its logical conclusion and waste no time beginning another one. I can do that. Chapters! Continue!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I lived in such a house I'd be tempted to spike the card bowl. Add a real "nookie" card, maybe, or an "alcohol" card.

And maybe some Uno-style meta cards. "Education and Responsibility? Whatever, I choose to play my Reverse card." It's always nice to add some agency to games of chance.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Sheila Tone said...

and abundance, which means I can plant even more tomato plants this year.

I would be interested in hearing about the tomato plants. I planted some last year and we ended up with tons and tons of yellow flowers, tons and tons of greens, very few reds, then the bushes got so big they fell over and crushed the stakes and each other and big swaths of vine died off at a time.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

spungen, you gotta prune your tomato plants, so you only get the best fruit, and you gotta prop them up when they hyuuuge.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Last year was a terrible year for my tomatoes, but yes, I cage them all in cages made of mesh for reinforcing concrete, dug two feet into the ground. My tomatoes will NOT fall over.

Lot of foliage means too much fertilizer. In a good summer, I mostly ignore my tomatoes, except to water and pick them.

8:29 AM  
Blogger fasolamatt said...

Here in the frigid north, we start seeds in March, plant on Memorial Day weekend and harvest in August and September... BLTs on home made bread four times a week, minimum... we grow Early Girls, Brandy Boys, Sungolds (these are our safety tomatoes) and two different heirlooms each year (our stretch tomatoes).

Remember the words of Guy Clarke:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/
data/homegrow.htm

"Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What'd life be without home grown tomatoes
There's only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes"

8:45 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

DUDE! The Brandy Boys! Those are so damn good. I usually plant from starts, and I have a hard time finding Brandy Boy starts. I could do from seeds, I suppose, but I don't like the unpredictability.

Brandy Boys!

Have you tried any of the other Sun cherry tomatoes? Like Sunsugar? I love a Sungold, but they do split easy.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite type of lamp are those 300W halogen lamps. They're ridiculously bright, and it's a nice light.

I don't like fluorescents, I can see them flicker, it drives me crazy. But, my friend is all about the compact fluorescents, and says they've improved a lot.

Though, I still say it's hard to beat the $15 300W halogen, it's just a bit warm to use in the summer.

Justin

12:20 PM  
Blogger fasolamatt said...

Yeah, the sungolds split rather easily even here on the tundra (did I mention two feet of snow on the ground?). I think it'll be another year before we expand beyond five plants, when C. (bn 3-13-04) is old enough to weed and water with less supervision.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I found my baby brother and sister learned to pick the ripe cherry tomatoes VERY EARLY. I think that lesson took very quickly. One or two demonstrations, and there was no more need for supervision.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home