html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: This is why I don't watch local news.

Friday, March 16, 2007

This is why I don't watch local news.

Amy and I were eating lunch on the Capitol grounds when this guy went by. He used to pass by my house all the time. He's missing a leg and in a wheelchair; six or seven years ago he had a sheltie that went with him everywhere. It looked like a bright little dog and they moved together really well. One day I noticed that the sheltie wasn't with him. Maybe a year later I saw the guy out somewhere and asked about his dog. He got tears in his eyes when he told me his dog had died.

So I pointed him out to Amy and Amy said "Oh. Hey. He was on the news. His puppy got stolen." What?! Yeah. He was in a parking lot with his new puppy on his lap. Some people came over, admired his puppy, picked it up and ran away. Who would do that?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is even worse.

Justin

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now let's all go watch the movie se7en and really get seal the mood.
-dithers

2:17 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I don't even know what se7en is about, but stories like these confirm my deeply held belief that there is absolutely no reason to pay money to watch sad movies. There is plenty of non-fiction sadness in the world, and it will find you. I will so not pay money to experience any extra sadness.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seven isn't sad. It's just messed up. Like Falling Down, or Natural Born Killers, or A Clockwork Orange, etc etc etc....

On a happier note, my stray cat came back yesterday. I thought he'd been killed, I hadn't seen him in months, but yesterday he was in the parking lot when I pulled into work, and he was back in his normal hiding spot later in the afternoon.

Justin

2:35 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I haven't seen the tom since last Friday. I may have narrowly avoided getting another cat.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I don't watch or read any sort of news at all. I don't need sad things imported into my life from all over the globe. That plus partisan rationalizations is the entire universe of "news." No thanks.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose it's possible that the dog thieves thought the man was using the puppy as a begging prop, him being in a wheelchair and all, and figured he would be an unfit owner.
It doesn't justify their action, but at least their motives might have been good, if misguided.

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter: think about an amplified version of what you said. Some random person takes your child away; when confronted they say `well, I didn't think he would be a fit father'.

Do we call this kidnapping, but with good if misguided motivations? Does it make things any better? Do you really find this sort of rational satisfying?

s.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, sad movies are all about "art." The reason I like sad movies is that I have an innate ability to appreciate "art." You apparently do not. I feel a little sad inside for you. If I made a movie about that, it would NOT be art, as I would have made it myself.

10:25 AM  
Blogger bryn said...

I think of sad movies as emotional exercise. When you're done you can go back to feeling better, where as the news is like omnipresent forest fires (with humidity) that you have to run run run away from but you can never quite escape

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home