html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I haven't decided my entries. You still have a chance.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

I haven't decided my entries. You still have a chance.

The 7th Annual Pie Contest
Sunday, July 15th
Registration opens at 6:00pm.
Presentation judging will be promptly at 7:00pm.

Rules:

* You can enter pie(s) in any division: Fruit Pie, Non-fruit Pie, Savory Pie, Presentation and That's Not A Pie.
* A pie is baked in a round dish with sloping sides and has an unleavened bottom crust.
* Cheesecake is not a pie. Pizza is not a pie.
* Anyone may enter; everyone judges all pies.
* Remainders of any pie must go home with the baker.

What to expect:

* A big Pie Contest will have about forty-fifty pies, and I expect this year to be a big Pie Contest. We'll have table and tables of pie.
* Each pie is assigned a number and gets judged anonymously. This is a pie contest, not a popularity contest.
* Everyone will get a ballot. You can assign three points as you like in each division. You can give all three points to one pie that wins you over; you can give one point each to three delicious pies.
* Pie Contest runs late because it takes so long to count the ballots. Winners will be announced at about 10pm.
* I would love to meet you, but you won't get a chance to talk to me that night. Pie Contest is a blur of coordination for me.

Advice:

* Eat a meal first. You'll be sick by the end of the evening if you don't and maybe if you do.
* Berry pie virtually always wins the Fruit Pie division. Winner of the Fruit Pie division usually wins Best In Show. Peach pie often comes in third in Fruit Pie.
* Savory Pie never gets the attention it deserves. It should attract a much stronger field, especially considering that everyone is sick of sweets by the end of the night. Anything with bacon will do well.
* Come even if you don't want to bake a pie. There is more than enough for every guest.

I hope to see you at Pie Contest! Bring your friends and family and your pies! Email me for my address - you are invited.

10 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

i would like to say that my peach pie cam in first last year in the fruit devision so peach pie bakers - do not be discouraged.

I'm so sad to miss this this year.

Helen

9:38 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Aw sugar. I miss you too.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sheila Tone said...

Is this real? Or is it just some Internet scam to get free pies?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Pie Contest is absolutely for real. I've held it for years. We ALL get free pies. And we eat them together, until we are sick.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

> And we eat them together, until we are sick.

I believe this is the ONLY Megan related activity I don't feel the tiniest bit deprived missing out on.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please explain the category "Presentation", and what limitations exist on the Not A Pie category, if any.

Are these regulations published? Did they go through notice and comment? Did you engage in an economic impact analysis, or prepare a digestion impact report (DIR)?

ahem. sorry about that. old habits die hard.

cheers.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Hey Megan -- OK if I invite some other recent east coast arrivals who I think you'll like to the pie contest? We might do a joint entry, actually.

BTW, spent several days in the Sierras, in a heartbreakingly beautiful totally uncrowded and genreally stunning place...email me if you want info (not at the google address, I rarely check it).

3:15 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Francis:

I was forced to define rules in advance to avoid making spot decisions that gave the appearance of bias. This event receives no government monies and I did not take public comment.

There are no outer bounds on That's Not a Pie, which most people do not take advantage of. Chris won That's Not a Pie with a Powerpoint presentation which is as good a reason as any to tell new people that this blog used to be way funnier. There was some good shit in the early days.

Presentation is a reflection of our society's shallow and look-ist value system, in which we judge pies purely by their appearance and not based on whether they have great personalities.

Marcus:

Yes, all are welcome! Bring lots of people to eat pies!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm shy. But, I like pie! And I like blog-you, so probably I'd like you-you, too! So I'm saying that I'm thinking really, really hard about taking you up on your Pie Contest invitation. At this point, I probably won't come, because Sunday night is not a great time for me to drive 2 hours away, but I'm feeling very sad and conflicted about this. Thank you for the invite!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I would love to meet you, Qbook. You're invited to come up earlier and hang out during the day, but I will also be housecleaning and making pies.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home