html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: "Maybe you meant, follow <i>your</i> dreams."

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Maybe you meant, follow your dreams."

Poking around, I came across this clip, of two young men who have re-made themselves into gods. It was a little odd that we didn't get to see the full rewards of their efforts. I can only imagine that their many ladyfriends were impatiently waiting for the filming to end, jostling each other slightly, packed as they are in the hot tub. I especially liked the training scenes (as is my wont); now that I am back to lifting, I assure you that I am also back to dancing.

The piece was entertaining enough, but I don't think I am the intended audience. I have never in my life seen or talked to anyone who acted like the archetype they're mocking. Never. We don't have those here. I'd doubt they existed, but I see them in the Vice Don'ts every now and then. Are they common somewhere? New Jersey is the epicenter, right? There are some for whom that expression of masculinity is authentic, and not a self-referential complicated joke? Cool.

Anyway, New Jersey reminded me of Fresh, so I went over to see if he posted wedding pictures. He didn't, but he's back. I'm glad.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They exist.

Be very afraid.

5:47 AM  
Blogger JRoth said...

Complete with FBI t-shirts.

No, not that.

Full-Blooded Italian.

Thick on the ground in NJ. And no, no sense of irony or self-mockery whatsoever. It's kind of astonishing.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow. The women there must be so happy.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're definitely going for Jersey, all "Seaside Heights".

And it's for real there.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep...real. It's like traveling to another planet when I go back to visit. Expecially anywhere down the shore (that's like 'the coast', but on the other side)

Strangely, the women do seem happy -- but they have their own version of the Guido, too.

--Dex

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staten Island is reputed to be the capital of guido-land. Connecticut also has quite a few.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call Peter. I always forget about the CT version. It's in pockets, ones that do not overlap with the JCrew'd country club connecticut, nor the country-connecticut. For such a small state, it's got a good variety of stereotypical peoples.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home