html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: With silver bells and cockle shells.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

With silver bells and cockle shells.

I planted our winter garden at my sister's house last week. The seeds sprouted and I love them so much. In the few waking hours I've been here, I've checked on them four or five times. It would be embarrassing to check on them as much as I want to, but fortunately, the littler nephew is as fascinated as I am.

He comes up to me, signing food. "What's that, Smalls? Food? Food grows in the garden. Let's go look!" I scoop him up and we go look at the sprouts. Or he'll come over, asking "agua, agua?" I answer him. "You're right, baby! We should water the garden!" He's gonna be a gardener, I can tell.

There will be arugula and kale and chard and beets and carrots and lettuces. If my sister lets me borrow her camera, I'll show you pictures of all of them later.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just been outside training my peas to climb up their new trellis. And my new cilantro is ready to dive into my last tomatoes to make yummy salsa. Bennett is mostly into harvesting, especially tomatoes, which never seem to make it into the house when he's around. Teetos!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'll post pictures for you!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

Heh. Even plants are cute as babies. I've noticed.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old's your nephew?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

That one is a year and a half. The older nephew is three and some.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww. I'm increasingly feeling ready to be an uncle (ah, if only my brother would cooperate.)

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home