html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I ride like an eagle soaring on thermal updrafts...

Monday, October 01, 2007

I ride like an eagle soaring on thermal updrafts...

I stayed at Chris’s last night, and am writing you from the train to Sac. I got the good set-up; a most excellent scone, coffee in my adorable mug, a seat at a table with an outlet, listening to music. Lots of smiley smart looking guys on the morning commuter train, which I’d never taken before. One locked his bike to mine because the regular bike racks were full. I trust that Clara is whispering suggestions to his bike right now.

I rode my bike down from Chris’s house in the hills, blowing 700 feet of potential energy in one twenty minute ride. It was great. Anand rode his bike across the country and said that he ended up liking climbing the Rockies better than gliding down them. I don’t understand how a seemingly bright guy can be so wrong, but there it is. He’ll probably post about that. I am back on Clara these days because Princess got two flats simultaneously, on the railroad tracks. Stupid skinny tires. I’ll fix those as soon as I find out from Sage what size tubes I need. It is just as well; I’m not ready to ride Princess on hills yet.

My love for Clara is verging on the bike mysticism with the swirly eyes that coalesce into heart-shaped pupils. I have manfully resisted writing about it, because there’s no point. If you ride your bike a lot, you already feel it. If you don’t ride, it will sound implausible and like bike-proselytizing. So I can’t really tell you about it, how good and comforting and uplifting it feels to ride, and how I get that feeling several times a day. Every time I go some place, in fact. I will say, though, that I don’t think I am especially prone to loving a machine or a means of transportation. So if I can get the bike-love, I think anyone who switched to a bike could get the bike-love (provided that she has safe enough streets that she isn’t always riding scared).


So anyway: bikes, RAH! Trains, RAH! Scones, RAH! Writing to you while traveling, RAH! I’m still really happy with my no-car choice.

3 Comments:

Blogger susan said...

I think you have to have a nice, comfortable bike in order for this love to blossom. I rode my trusty old Huffy well past its prime (got it at age 10, took it to college a decade later), and while I definitely had a sentimental attachment to it, there was none of this adoration of which you speak. And I rode it quite a lot in those last 2 years of college.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm sure you're right. Comfortable equipment must be a pre-req.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I don't know.

I quite like my bike, which I ride to work every day, but I spend my time eyeing younger, slimmer, and just plain sexier little things all the time.

I even have taken one home, for a sort of menage a trois, though she is injured and needs some work on the seat post and front wheel bearing, before we can get serious.

To rub salt in the wound, I have even been eyeing off road bikes, with their 20 mm tyres and total weight equal to my existing bike's front wheel alone.

Yes, I'm a slut.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home