html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Pleased overall.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pleased overall.

I'm a little disappointed that in the middle of my second max cycle, my deadlift doesn't seem to have changed since three months ago. But my trainer's been messing around with some heavy sets of three early in the evening, and says that may explain it. I have one more week to try to lift heavier things than last time.

I am pleased that my max for overhead press was 90lbs. I am even more pleased that we went to a thinner band for pull-ups than I've used before. Seeing a skinnier band and having the pull-ups feel the same is the most tangible progress I've had. It makes me smiley.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started doing pullups as exercise. I've been doing weighted pullups, with a 25lbs weight hanging on me. And offset pullups.

I was happy to see how easy my offsets were getting. I'm on my way to 1 arm pullups.

Progress you can actually recognize is fun.

Justin

10:48 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

It is fairly common to have a decrease in performance when training hard, followed by an increase after a period of recovery. You'll find discussion of this under the keyword "supercompensation" (woooo! jargon!) This isn't an effect rookies would expect, but I think you're not rookie so it's a plausible explanation.

There also the also old saw that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. For example, I've found my legs can pull more than my back can safely hold. Concentrating work on my back got me 10kgs more on my deadlift.

1 arm pullups = w00t!

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home