html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Conversations I have with Chris.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Conversations I have with Chris.

Chris: Hee.
Megan. Oooh. Fed-Ex traffic.
Chris: I love traffic.
Megan: You love some traffic.
Chris: That's what heaven looks like.

****
Megan: I built this tomato cage my ownself!
Chris: Megan, tomatoes can't run away.

****
Chris: You might want to downshift on this grade.
Megan: More hamsters!
Chris: Bigger, stronger, slower hamsters.
Megan: Different hamsters!

****
After I fall on a series of unlit steps:
Chris: HAHAHAHAHAA! Ahh haha hahah hahah hah ha ha ha! HO HAHA HAHA!
Megan: Dude. I just feel on the steps.
Chris: Yeah, but you fell UP the stairs. Last time you fell down the stairs! Now you're even.
Megan: (in my head) They both hurt, fucker. Why are you laughing?

****
Chris: It is easy to lift the bike from the vertical post...
Megan: (in my head) Did he just give me advice on how to lift my bike? I've been on my bike for TWO YEARS NOW. I lift my bike on stairs and trains all the time. Did he not notice that I've been lifting my bike like that for years? What is a car driver doing telling a bike-person how to lift her bike?
Chris: ...down by the center of gravity...
Megan: (in my head) But sometimes he explains the basics and they're really helpful and I didn't think of that. Is that more helpful than telling me how to lift my bike is annoying? Yes. (sigh).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deadlift his car.

That'll shut him up.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

Yay for the Amsterdam photos. Spent a few weeks riding around the Netherlands. In my experience the archetypal Dutch bikes has a serious heavy frame with integral (hub) gears and brakes, a built-in lock, and mud-guards and chain guard as standard . It is very
practical for a very flat country. Much less maintenance is required, the heavy frame can carry a lot, and you don't have to worry about your clothes getting dirty. Bicycle theft is popular, hence all the locks. Rotterdam is Europe's main port and hence Europe's main source of illegal drugs. Junkies steal bikes to fund their habit. A Dutch friend said is it common to make one's bike look really beaten up to deter thieves. Also, modern dynamos don't cause much drag. I've used one for years.

It is really nice to have a bike that you know you can ride in any condition, and know you don't have to take anything extra along with you. When I ride in the UK I typically carry at least my lock, helmet, trouser clips, and lights. Most (even, all) of that stuff is unnecessary when cycling in the Netherlands. It feels very liberating.

(I hope this post isn't too analytical.)

3:57 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hee hee. I tell Chris that I'm going to pick him up and throw him over the fence.

Noel, no it was great. I'm going to have to abandon the policy soon anyway, 'cause I don't like enforcing it. Biking in a bike culture must be so great.

And I HATE bike thieves.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home