html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Because it sucks to admit you don't live by your morals, that's why.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Because it sucks to admit you don't live by your morals, that's why.

Oddly, widespread media attention to one of their faculty's most famous works does not seem to have made it to the front of the Boalt Hall page. Their bookstore manager is retiring, though.

Also, why aren't we hearing more from people inside the school? There's this guy, who is totally bummed those hippies who live in the past interrupted his class today. But that's the only blog I can find telling us what it is like to be in this situation. Considering how rich this topic is, why don't we have lots of thoughtful people telling us what the dilemma means and what they balance?

5 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

Your title says it all, Megan. No one likes to admit to a double standard.

Though I was just as surprised there's not more out.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Armen Adzhemyan said...

It might help to check the date of my post. It's from 2005. If you had bothered to look at the front page of the blog you'd find a post on the more recent memorandum.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You mean this one? I didn't use that one because it doesn't tell us what it is like to be a Boalt student wrestling with these issues. The comments are more interesting, now that I've read them.

You are right that I should have checked the dates, but instead I just scrolled down a search of "Yoo" until I found one that showed what crosses the minds of Boalt Hall students faced with this dilemma.

Also, please read my comment policy. It not standard.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Delong has a professor's take on the issue. Complete with wrestling with himself over whether to do something or not, and the significance of tenure. (I read him for the politics and journalism, not the econ. It can be done.)

I didn't quite understand his obsession with Padilla, because his outrage doesn't penetrate very well into the public, even the libruls I go to school with (or with me, at the time). But most will admit the Geneva Conventions seem like a major line to cross.

In particular, I'd like to know if there's been a simple poll at Berkeley about this. Seems like a first step into investigating why it hasn't captured much attention. [What of the recent open forum, "http://www.law.berkeley.edu/news/2008/student-forum031408.html" -- access restricted]

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Beyond DeLong's personal take, there's a lot of interesting discussion in the comments.
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/04/this-garment-st.html
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/04/the-john-yoo-si.html
and
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/04/in-re-john-yoo.html
(I read him for the politics, too, but also find that I come away wiser regarding economics... a nice fringe benefit.)

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home