html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Happy Fourth of July y'all. Watch extra fireworks for me.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Fourth of July y'all. Watch extra fireworks for me.

My friend Dan is going to be in Berkeley this weekend, so a bunch of us who pretended to be hippies in college are gathering. We'll meet at Cafe Gratitude. Anand can't be there, but he sent me an email a couple days ago with some of the menu:

I AM BOUNTIFUL live bruschetta - Four slices of our live toast topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, stone ground olive oil and brazil nut parmesan. $7.50

*I AM GENEROUS guacamole -
Authentic guacamole and spicy tomato salsa with live flax chips $6.50

I AM HAPPY live hummus - Sprouted almond-sesame
hummus with assorted live crackers $6.50

I AM PRESENT cheese & fruit - Soft cashew “
cheese” of the day served with apples or grapes,
olive tapenade, assorted live crackers and toast $7.50

I AM MAGICAL stuffed mushrooms -
Six cremini mushrooms stuffed with sprouted
sunflower seed-walnut pâté, sprinkled with Brazil nut parmesan $7

I AM INSIGHTFUL live samosas - Two spinach wrapped samosas filled with almond sesame seed pâté and marinated veggies, comes with spicy fresh mint dipping sauce. $7.50


Anand wrote that he'll be having the 'I AM NAUSEOUS', which comes with a bucket and cool minty water. Man, Dallas has made him weak. Back when he lived here, he could have held his stomach.

'Don't know when the weekend will end. See you Tuesday or Wednesday or so.

6 Comments:

Blogger Macneil Shonle said...

Cafe Gratitude is awesome! I've only been there once, but I had the I Am Abundant (the sampler plate) and it was great! The guacamole is worth trying too.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, I know you said keep it positive and so this is not meant as a negative comment. I find your blog really interesting but am a bit curious as to what your political views on : Israel/Palestine, Iraq, the environment or other issues are.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Live crackers sound a little scary, like some thing out of a cheesy sci-fi or horror movie. Or since I just saw a *terrible* zombie movie, potential racist victims for a zombie plague in the South?

(Yes, I have googled "live crackers" already and learned what they are. And yes I am a bit of a food neophobe).

10:59 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

My politics? Really? You think that's what this blog needs?

A quick rundown:
I would have thought the bleeding heart comes through in some of my posts. Generally liberal.

I am very nearly a single-issue voter, pro-environmental causes. I'm hoping Angelides gets elected, but have been pleasantly surprised by Schwarzenegger on the environment.

My interest in politics diminishes as they get farther from home. I follow local politics fairly closely, and international politics in broad strokes at best.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Anon was confused by the hippie co-op in college or the constant attention to all issues enviromental. The whole gardening thing does give off a bit of an Amish/neo-reactionary vibe.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Rob E. said...

I don't understand the "live" food, either. And I also sometimes pretend to be a hippy. But I come from the rural midwest, and from that perspective, I guess I am a hippy, but I know there's a whole other, higher echelon: the California Hippy. The California Hippy remains beyond my comprehension. They say things I don't understand and, appearantly, eat live chips and crackers. I picture a Pringle that screams in pain when you bite into it, but that sounds profoundly unhippy-like. But now that I know that Google holds the answer, I will go look there.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home