html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: S.O.S.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

S.O.S.

I left work with a headache and a mile-long To Do list. Top item on my list: get a room in Honolulu for tomorrow night. Kaimana is this weekend. I told the Sac women's team that I would go months ago, bought plane tickets weeks ago, and somehow just realized this week that I get in too late on Friday to go straight to the fields. I meant to get to it this week, but for some reason, I painted my front bedroom instead. So my house is exploded, with bedroom furniture and painting stuff everywhere. I haven't begun to pack for four days of camping in Hawaii. I have vaguely thought through how I'm going to get to SFO. When I went to look for hotel rooms, the cheapest room available is for $638 per night. I nearly cried.

I hate to ask for help. I hate it. I'll do a ridiculous amount of work by myself to avoid asking for help. I really, really hate to ask for help when I desperately need it. I don't know why it is so hard for me just to ask. I help other people a lot. Ride to the airport? Moving day? House sit? No problem. I truly don't mind helping other people, so I should assume that they don't mind helping me.

I couldn't think of any other options tonight, so I started making calls. Roxie said she would check on my cat, and told me everything would be OK. Drew suggested I send my gear ahead with other team members and he would set up my tent. My true knight in shining armor is Tracy, who will pick me up from the airport and let me stay in her room for the night. Chris came over and we rearranged two bedrooms to make my house habitable again. Getting help works so damn well!

My kind friends transformed my evening, house and vacation. I'm getting excited about playing again, and about girlie drinks with umbrellas, and pretty Ultimate boys. I'm also kinda excited that when I get home, my house will be all new and shiny. I'll be back next week, and I'll be sure to tell you everything.


(Maybe I should think some about why I've been so uninspired by this trip that I couldn't be bothered to make minimal arrangements for it. Not looking forward to a solo trip to Hawaii? Not ready to return to playing in tournaments? Don't want to travel in general?)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram that frisbee down their ultimate THROATS. Or, er, however you play the game. I went to UC Davis and I still have no idea.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

www.affordable-paradise.com

Have a fantastic trip. Give yourself a break with the trip and Ultimate. You had a pretty traumatic experience and then overcompensated.

It sounds so fun though. Naked Ultimate in Hawaii! With boys! With long hair! And advanced degrees!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home