html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I would totally send plagues and locusts.

Monday, April 24, 2006

I would totally send plagues and locusts.

I’m the most mellow, easygoing person you know. I don’t take things personal; I start with the most generous interpretation of other people’s motives I can find and I top that off with the benefit of doubt. I walk away from people doing annoying things with a grin and a head shake, on the grounds that life is too short for drama. In my entire life, I may have been in one or two arguments with raised voices, but I haven’t been in four or five. I would remember.

It takes extraordinary provocation to get me mad, but when I am finally angry, it is forever. When my ex and ex-best friend told me, they were instantly expelled from my life. A week later I called Sean, bewildered and hurt. “Sean,” I said, “I don’t understand. There are people who think I should forgive them.” He laughed and said, “Oh no, Meggie. You’ll never do that. You’re Old Testament.” He’s right. I am.

The only other person I’m angry at is Laura, from sixth grade. Margie, Tracy and I can all tell exactly the same story. Each of our best friends from childhood through fifth grade decided to be popular in sixth grade and started climbing by turning on us. I had no idea it was coming; by the time she was done I was untouchable. After a couple months I gave up hope that anyone in my class would look at me or talk to me. I just read all the time. I didn’t know this then, but Mom told me later that my beautiful, popular sister used to cry after school because kids were so mean to me.

I went to nerd schools after that. Junior high gradually got better; nerd high school was great. But Laura cost me two miserable years and she did it as part of a deliberate plan. Tracy got an email this weekend from the girl who was mean to her; she thought hard and then responded graciously. Not me. I wouldn’t. I maybe think of Laura once a year. When I do, though, I hope that bitch is having a fucking awful life.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger srah said...

For us it was the opposite - there was one girl in the group who decided she was going to be one of the 'popular' kids and only care about boys and excessive blue eyeshadow and stuff... so the nerds shunned her. And wrote songs about how much she sucked. I still don't like her!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When my ex and ex-best friend told me, they were instantly expelled from my life."

Told you what?


"I don’t understand. There are people who think I should forgive them."

Forgive them for what?

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous - are you really that stupid?

Obviously they borrowed her Parcheesi set and never returned it.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hey! All my readers are smart.

My backgammon set. I am a fiend for backgammon.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Cladeedah said...

Oh Meggie... I think we must have been separated at birth. I had one girl do this to me at private school and then another in public school right after - both right around 5th and 6th grades...

I don't hate them though. My hatred is reserved for one and only one person - Brian's ex. And even that I'm learning to let go of.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah plagues. What happens when God gets angry. How's this (paraphrase):

I send a pestilence and plague
Into your house, into your bed
Into your streams, into your streets
Into your drink, into your bread
Upon your cattle, on your sheep
Upon your oxen in your field
Into your dreams, into your sleep
Until you break, until you yield
I send the swarm, I send the horde
I send the thunder from the sky
I send the fire raining down
I send a hail of burning ice
On ev'ry field, on ev'ry town
I send the locusts on a wind
Such as the world has never seen
On ev'ry leaf, on ev'ry stalk
Until there's nothing left of green
I send my scourge, I send my sword
Thus saith the Lord

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home