html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Daring Jumping Spider has to be the best name ever.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Daring Jumping Spider has to be the best name ever.

I see Daring Jumping Spiders patrolling my porch pretty regularly. They are my favorite ‘cause they are bad-ass, all black with white dots and iridescent green teeth. I say hell yes to iridescent green teeth. They’re also big and quick and graceful. I am less fond of them when they are Inside Scaring-Me Spiders.

Where I am from in LA has miles of cinderblock sound walls lining busy streets. If you go out walking after dusk and look at the base of the wall, you see that every three or four feet is a black widow, hanging upside down in her web. The hourglasses are clear as anything. I wonder how many people know that, ‘cause I don’t see many other people out walking after dusk and I don’t know how many of them look down. Black widow after black widow for miles gives me the shivers and bad dreams once.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spiders are cool, but even better than the Daring Jumping Spider has to be the cool Funnel Web Spider - http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/arachnids/spiders/funnelweb_spider/funnelweb_spider.html

But always remember boys and girls - Brown Recluses are double-plus-ungood!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Makes me glad I live in Minnesota, where there are no black widow spiders. Given the choice between spiders and deadly cold, I'll take the cold any day!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Colorado on the Front Range and I don't think I'd say those are "commonly found in gardens and homes". Sounds like some grad student trying to make the Front Range sound more exciting than it really is. Mostly it is just too damn dry for much of any kind of life to exist. A lot of people don't even bother with screen doors because its not like there's much in the way of insects to keep out.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scary. i do live in minnesota and i just saw the green toothed spider at two houses, 1/2 hour apart the same day. :(

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home