html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Walk to Quench the Thirsty

Friday, August 11, 2006

Walk to Quench the Thirsty



Every Thanksgiving, tens of thousands of Sacramentans run and walk to fight hunger in our community. I myself have run in the Run to Feed the Hungry. I wear the shirt proudly.

But it isn't just hungry people who suffer in Sacramento. Every day, all around us, people get thirsty. Maybe it is the heat, maybe it is just an natural craving for something to drink, but no matter the cause, it is up to us to take action to end thirst.

The first annual Walk to Quench the Thirsty is tomorrow. The registration table is at 20th and Jay. Bring running shoes and athletic gear, come get a race number, and walk our pub route, battling thirst at every stop.

Update 8/13: "If you aren't drinking, you're dehydrating." - Stephen M.
The first annual Walk to Quench the Thirsty went well. I had thought of the WtQtT as a big, citywide race, with refreshment tables and a party at the finish line and everything. But I didn't put in enough work to pull it off. Still, about a dozen activists went out to eliminate local thirst. Our philosophy was "lead by doing" and I think we set a pretty good example for our friends and neighbors. The race numbers got lots of attention; other groups were happy to put on numbers and commit to doing their part to end thirst. It was very fun, and the second annual will be even funner.




****************
Anand thought of it first.
Grady drew that picture.
Also, mark your calendars. Pie Contest will be on September 17th.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

Dammit! I wish my trip to CA cooincided w/ the first ever WtQtT! Next year... for SURE! Make sure to post any press you get!!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socially-oriented pub crawl? Rock on!

agm

2:39 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Lay some flour and break out the drinking songs and you'll all be Hashers!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

steven, I'm confused? What do flour and/or running have to do with it?

agm

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun event.

In Rochester, there is a group that does a pub crawl on bikes, usually with some theme (sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!).

I was sitting outside one of my favorite pubs (the one where I do karaoke Wednesday nights) with a couple of friends, when about 30 fellows on bikes stopped by, all in Elvis costume. One of the Elvises kissed one of my friends, and she gushed "Ooo, I got kissed by an Elvis" (turned out this one was her boyfriend).

Nice picture, by the way. Finally you can have tea and scones or whatever with that grad student who irritated you earlier!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh, I had that picture before. I was just too righteous to send it to him.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We decided that WtQtT should be semi-annual or even quarterly! It was not that you did not put enough into it! These types of events start off slow and grow into huge philanthropic gatherings that are soon enveloped into other cities underground culture. Have faith!
I will have you know that we upheld the fight until early morning, generating interest for the next race and letting Ali and Grady beat us shuffleboard.

Debi

9:19 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

YAY! You continued the work! I'm so proud! I, on the other hand, just went home, where my house was fully lit up and loud music was playing because an old friend who knew where to find the emergency key was in town and made himself comfortable. Love that! Yay!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to look at the map that goes with this post a second (maybe 3rd)time before I understood that this event was a contest, with a very pleasant prize (well, at least for the single guys!)

Very cute!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

NOT a contest! We ALL win when thirst is eradicated from our communities! While one of us is parched, we are all parched! I cannot be quenched while others around me yet thirst!

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, then I misread the significance to the track that seems to lead the "1st place" finisher to "your house"?

And here I thought you were giving up that new-fangled feminism in favor of the older, Atalanta-style feminism.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home