html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Y'all have to promise to forget my last name.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Y'all have to promise to forget my last name.

Remember how I told you that I understand denial? When I broke my arm, I didn't have health insurance. My friend Anthony lobbies for health access; he knew the emergency room had a billing policy for uninsured people that would reduce my bill from $6000 (for six hours) to $1700. It was a good thing I knew him, 'cause I would never have heard about it from the hospital. That process is described in this SacBee article. Sorry it is behind a registration page.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no need to register to read the article. Bugmenot.com suggested using "goladyvols" as the user ID and "candace" as the password, and it worked fine for me.
Who'd ever thought there'd be a University of Tennessee women's basketball fan all the way out in Sacramento?

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worked for me too.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly something must be done about the dangers of light rail.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Anthony Wright said...

Megan neglects to point out the HUGE picture of her, smack in the center of page 3... If you place the newspaper down, I think her eyes follow you around the room...

If folks actually want more information about the law, it is available at the website of Health Access California, the sponsor of the legislation:


http://www.health-access.org/providing/ab774.htm


-A

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. How'd the reporter find you?

It looks like the new law wouldn't cover you. Nor would it cover my friend who was in the same position (benefits not kicked in yet) when she had to have gallbladder surgery and got an $80K bill.

There is a huge difference between "sticker price" and what they charge insurance companies.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Aw crap. Is there a HUGE picture of me? One of y'all will grab that, won't you?

Reporter found me through Anthony. He took me to coffee, and I have never been so quickly and ruthlessly boxed out as when we stepped to the register to pay for coffee.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WooHoo! Megan is a media darling. I believe that is 2 feature articles on you in the Sac Bee. When do you claim the title of "Queen of All Media"

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home