html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: When I wake up, the days will be getting longer.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

When I wake up, the days will be getting longer.

Six or seven years ago at Christmas, the moon was especially close to the earth, close enough to see the fur on the rabbit in the moon and it shown bright and blue, bright enough to cast shadows. It was warm that December, warm enough to sit on my porch and light luminarias and listen to the Buena Vista Social Club on repeat. My sister was here and on such a warm night, we decided to ride bikes out to see the outlandish Christmas lights displays. The two of us biked through all that blue moonlight and it turns out that entire blocks lit up by Christmas lights look garish and tacky by car, but, like everything else, better on a bicycle. In fact, they looked sparkly everywhere and you could zoom around a pillar of light, or ride through the hoops of color arching over the sidewalk. I go on the Holiday Lights Bike Ride every year it isn't raining; is one of the two holiday traditions I love.

The other holiday tradition I love is Andrew's Solstice Party. We went tonight; on this solstice, I wrote my vision for the next six months on prayer paper, which I burned to release my hopes into the world. We also drew Tarot cards, to tell us what our next six months will hold. I drew The Emperor, reversed. The Emperor reversed is an indecisive man. Friends, that card came too late; I've given that man my attention since the last Solstice. Tonight I wrote him a note on prayer paper and burned it with the Tarot card. Back to your own world, Emperor reversed. I want better for my next six months. I drew another card, the King of Cups. King of Cups means responsibility and creativity, a learned person, professional, lawyer, clergy, scientist, artist, a considerate person, generosity. I don't know if the world is finally sending him to me or if that's who I should be, but either sounds like a promising stretch of springtime.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome time of year. It was dark enough in DC yesterday that I kept my outside xmas lights on all day. The Solstice party sounds great -- if the druids had their rites and rituals, why not us?

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! So I'm not the only person who sees a rabbit in the Moon!

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, I hope you find what you're wishing for and better and soon. I have and I feel very blessed. -K.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays and enjoy the lights, sounds and sights of the season.

Hope the new years finds you joyous.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home