html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Some high points from Thanksgiving.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Some high points from Thanksgiving.

It was a lovely long weekend, in which I moved no boxes. Very many good things happened.

We went down to Santa Monica and met our excellent cousins there. My grandfather married their grandmother. That hasn't worked out particularly well, but man did that net us some great cousins. We rode the ferris wheel! We played with their girl baby in the waves! We ate fried food!

Anand was in LA for Thanksgiving with his cousins. I got to see him lounge around with cousins, and now I understand why the hippie weekends where we pile into someone's house and goof off all night until we fall asleep in heaps come so naturally to him. He's been doing this his whole life. At the second bar with the cousins, I actually managed to pay for one of my drinks, for which I should get a freakin' Medal of Honor, because that is not easy with that group of Indian men.

You know, there is something especially wonderful about watching your friends mix. A couple summers ago, Anand and hippy co-op friend Joe came over for dinner at my Dad's house. Teddy brought his family over too, and my baby siblings and Dad and all of us ate at the picnic table by the pool. I was almost too happy to talk as I watched them all joking around. Lots of people I love, mixing and figuring out that they are all funny and liking each other. I knew they would, and I got to have them all at once! That evening is still one of my favorite memories.

I got to do more of that this weekend. Anand came out for dinner with Tom and Susan, whom I met here! I felt like I was showing off Anand to them and showing off them to Anand; all the talking was easy and I got twice the friends-cred. And then Anand came out for breakfast with Teddy's family and my baby brother and it happened again! I am so lucky.

I think the best part of the weekend was on Sunday afternoon, though. I was napping and my baby sister (by which I mean the fifteen year old) came and snuggled into bed with me. We ended up talking quietly for a good long time. She's so great. It has been easier for me to get chunks of my brother's time, but I've got to change that, because my baby sister is someone I really want to know well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Meeting Anand was awesome, though I felt like I already knew him from his many, long, and detailed, posts.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It was a good conversation, though, about how blogging has changed him. Not the blogging so much, but all the celebrity from being a famous blogger. He says it is weird getting recognized in San Jose all the time.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

The perils of fame are truly legion. I'm glad to know he still appreciates the little people.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home