html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Why am I just now checking out my attic, at 9 on Friday night? Because I PLANNED IT THAT WAY, OK?

Friday, November 16, 2007

Why am I just now checking out my attic, at 9 on Friday night? Because I PLANNED IT THAT WAY, OK?

Been packing all day, and have a stack of boxes to take up to the attic. My heart sank when I got up there; it was so much more full than I remembered. Where am I gonna put all my stuff? But I went to shift things around and half the boxes were empty! Empty boxes and a half-empty attic? I feel like I won the fuckin' lottery!

My sister is of the 'just-in-time manufacturing' mindset, and insists that we do not store empty boxes or buy items in bulk, that our houses be rigorously uncluttered. She trusts the production chain, I guess, and since she is all organized in advance of a move, that works for her. But she threw out perfectly good boxes when we cleaned the back porch, and I've been mourning those all day. I snuck these ones by her, through my extreme cleverness in storing and forgetting them. Years ago I must have anticipated this hour of need.

Also, since I've rolled both ankles in the past month, my trainer has had me doing overhead and military presses and not much else. I'm feeling pretty pleased about that too, as I wobble on the top of my ladder and lift boxes of books above my head into the attic. Prescient of us, I say.

Update on the EMPTY BOXES: On closer inspection, I never put those empty boxes up there. This is good, because I like to think I mostly remember everything, and I wouldn't have forgotten putting boxes in my attic. They were the boxes of a roommate I was never much fond of, but who has redeemed herself in a big way tonight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a box hoarder, and now I am not. The big enlightenment was looking at my garage and realizing "I could put a woodworking shop in here." Getting rid of the boxes, plus a little other detritus let me put in an 8-foot workbench.

It makes sense to save a few boxes for mailing stuff, but the correct number doesn't seem like "all."

Good luck on the packing.

A4

6:27 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Cardboard is just so unsightly, despite its marvelous engineering.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to knock down the cardboard boxes and store them flat.

Otherwise you'll never have enough.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home