html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Gadgets AND gear

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Gadgets AND gear

Should any of you remain unconvinced about my dedication to this project, perhaps it will sway you to hear that I actually bought gadgets. You know I hate those, right? Except that I am right now writing to you from my laptop, and I feel all hip and au courant, now that I too have reason to be aware of free wireless. (By au courant, I mean, you know, for the late nineties.) I also bought a little digital voice recorder. I was intimidated at first, ‘cause it had buttons and multiple functions. But I read the manual, which helped a little, and then my baby sister started playing with it. I liked it much better when I had lots of recordings of the two of us giggling. So, gadgets. I will too write this book.

(Justin! All! I need gear, and god knows you have thoughts about gear. I got the laptop for Christmas, and no case. I need a case. Here are the constraints. The laptop is big, 17” screen. I am a brute and break things, especially electronics. I don’t have a car; the case has to be portable by bike. I already carry a backpack, so I don’t want something else hanging off me, to swing into lightposts as I ride by. It would be nice to carry something style-y, but that comes as a last concern. What should I get?)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either Tom Bihn or Red Oxx.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should get a new backpack with a laptop compartment, of course.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different requirements, but lots of good suggestions were in the thread here.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, there are a few flavors of hardshell backpacks, just in case you are old enough to no longer believe in your immortality. Otherwise, ogged is spot on and you should get a laptop backpack. Wife and I both have them, they have handles on the top to carry like a laptop case, but they are also backpacks.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was in Las Vegas for the holiday.

I have 2 laptop bags, just 2 shoulder bags, 1 big enough to get all the accessory junk into it, like the power cord, and the ethernet cord, and battery chargers for my cameras, and a real mouse, blah blah blah. My other one I got for free when one of my roommates decided to move out with no notice one day when I wasn't home still owing me several $100. I had to call his mom to get him to return his keys. He left it behind, along with his car title, it's nice, Kenneth Cole, and smaller, just big enough for the laptop really.

But, personally, I don't like carrying my laptop with me anywhere. I used to travel with it, and the shoulder bags worked fine for that, until I'd get a 45 minute layover in O'Hare on a flight that came in 30 minutes late, with a connection that's departing from the opposite end of the airport. Trying to sprint through the airport with a shoulder bag was very unpleasant.

But, you CAN get a laptop backpack. I don't like them. I think they're all boxy and ugly. Really, all you're looking for is extra padding anyway, so you end up with a whole extra backpack, that won't be as nice as even that JanSport thing you carry. I do like JanSport packs, I've got a little yellow one, but they're not the most comfortable things around for carrying any actual weight.

Anyway, the whole point of this is, I'd get just a laptop sleeve. Then, you can drop your laptop into whatever bag you prefer, and it'll be protected. And, they're cheaper than a full blown laptop bag.

Here:
there are a couple here

And here

And tumi has some that are a bit expensive. You can find these things almost anywhere that sells either luggage, laptops, or backpacks.

Justin

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan

External backup drive.

External backup drive.

External backup drive.

Maxtor, Maxtor, Maxtor.

The key technology for *any* author is the backup.

You cannot be too paranoid. Backup to a hard drive. Store drafts on web storage. Make CD copies and ask your friends to look after them. Keep your own copies at home and at work (either can be burgled).

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Valuethinker

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home