html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: No, he didn't call.

Friday, December 22, 2006

No, he didn't call.

Dave and I went to Gaylords (hee) for lunch. Yummy. There was a guy there. I was pretty sure he looked me over, and then I thought he looked me over again. He looked nice, and managed to be polite even in a small gesture like handing me a dish for the buffet. Back at the table, Dave said “I think that guy is checking you out.” I thought so too. We talked about it a little; when I looked over, the guy was looking my way again. Since I had such good luck with my note for the English Professor, we decided to try it again. (You guys are going to think I do this all the time. Nope. It’s just that you hear about it when I do.) This time the note said:
He’s not my boyfriend.

Megan
[email address]

I dropped the note off at his table when we left. My heart was pounding, even Dave’s was. We compared a minute later or so; my hands were shaking worse than his, but not much worse. I stopped to run an errand on our way back. As I came back to the building, the guy and his friends were directly in front of me. There was no avoiding them. He nodded to his friends and walked towards me.

Him: Hey Megan
Me: Hey (abashed)
Him: I’m Jimmy. You know, you look very familiar. Where’ve I seen you?
Me and Jimmy: (figure out we work in the same department)
Jimmy: That was some note you left me.
Me: We thought you were checking me out.
Jimmy: Nope. I’m married, three kids. I was wondering where I’ve seen you.
Me: Cool.
Jimmy: It was nice though... OK, see you.
Me: See you, then.
Jimmy: Hey, no awkwardness.
Me: Not by me.
Me and Jimmy: (laughing) Bye.

See, friends? Not so hard. Just a straight answer and friendliness. Jimmy is a classy guy.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could he call? You only gave your e-mail address.

Justin

2:57 PM  
Blogger m/p said...

i wish there more jimmys in this world.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Justin:
The English Professor didn't call, from a couple weeks ago.

Srchingformystry:
You know, he handled it very nicely. Props to him. (See everyone? You don't have to say yes; you just have to be clear and nice.)

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I get it now.

Seriously, go buy this backpack, it's driving me crazy, such a good deal, such a nice pack.

the site has 1 deal at a time, when this sells out it moves onto the next thing. If I didn't already have 3 or 4 2000cuin packs I'd buy this. It's driving me crazy, I want it, but I really don't have any use for a pack that small. Still, REALLY nice.

Justin

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, I've been staring at it all morning, now like magic it's gone. Oh well. Next time. And I screwed up my link. I didn't get anything right.

Justin

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy must be one cool character. I know that if something like that had happened to me, I would be SO embarassed every time I saw you again!

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is cool you have the guts to do things like that.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

He was checking you out. He just wasn't checking you out with intent.

Nothing wrong with that, and it sounds like it was a positive experience for both of you. Human interaction should be like that.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home