html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I've always liked heights.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I've always liked heights.

I am phenomenally patient. I think a lot of that is from having absolutely reliable parents, who consistantly did exactly as they promised and made me trust the future. Some of it is probably just my nature. I’ve always been patient. When I was four, I asked my Dad if I could go on the roof. He told me when I was twice as old, he would take me. When I was six, I figured out how much twice was and was relieved that I only had two more years to wait. On my eighth birthday, I found my Dad and told him it was time to go on the roof. He was surprised, because I had never once talked about it in the four years between. I don’t know whether he remembered his promise, but he took me on the roof and it was great. Totally worth waiting for.

I’m not sure whether being so patient serves me well. Maybe if I weren’t so patient, I would have realized that being in a long distance relationship for five and a half years was pure crap. When he told me he wanted to work in another country for a year, the first words out of my mouth were “I’ll wait for you.” But you know what? I waited for a year and a half, and when he came back, his heart was still there. Maybe if it weren’t so easy for me to wait, I wouldn’t have given him the years between twenty-two and thirty and now be thirty-four and increasingly scared I’ll miss having kids. I need to learn more about when to cut my losses, but that’s not my natural tendency. By default I would make plans months or years out, and wait happily in the meantime, enjoying the anticipation of good things.

The flip side is that I get unreasonably annoyed at people who speculate about the immediate future. “I wonder if we’ll find a parking spot.” or “Do you think they’ll be sold out of cherries?” Oooh, that makes my shoulders climb to my ears and my hands clench. We’ll know in a matter of minutes and we can’t know now. Why would you ask? Can’t you be patient for another two minutes? I hate that shit.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You like heights, but you don't do any rock climbing, even though you belong to a rock climbing gym. That doesn't make any sense.

You should try being much more impatient, like me. There's too much to do, too many things to try to be sitting around wasting time.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a temperment similar to yours (in this one way). My Dad jokes that when I was a kid, he knew I'd wind up saving the money he gave me for souveniers. My brother, on the other hand, I don't think ever made it to the bus with his money...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I probably should try being more impatient, but it's not like I sit around in the meantime. Seriously, I'm out doing stuff for every daylight hour. And, in the back of my mind, I am also serenely waiting for my friend to move back from grad school or for Arizmende to come to Sacramento.


I'm still iffy about rock climbing, probably because I haven't tried it. I don't like gear sports, and I don't know the limits of my strength, and I especially don't trust my left arm right now, and I need another sport like I need a TV. But, I do love heights. Maybe when I'm done with Ultimate.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, but, what does this have to do with the kitt--

[I was about to complain that this discussion is not about cats, but I see that the subtitle has yet again changed. My apologies; I withdraw the objection.]

4:13 PM  
Blogger Bradley said...

Im glad im not patient. But I am glad others are. Do you happen to be religious too?

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't you read Brave New World? It specifically says, the more equipment, and the more expensive a game is, the better it is.

Besides, almost every sport requires some kind of gear. For your ultimate thing you need athletic clothes, and athletic shoes, probably shoes that help prevent you from twisting your ankle, and you need a frisbee.

And, all the best sports require the most expensive equipment, like biking, and skiing, and backpacking.

You live near mountains, if you're not spending at least part of every winter skiing you're wasting your life.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a patient person, but I never would have called it that. Instead I think of it as a "wait and see" attitude. If it requires just a tiny bit of waiting, I'll just wait for results. Or a lot of waiting, whatever, I'm easy like that.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home