html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: All me, all the time.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

All me, all the time.

Things I’ve noticed myself doing recently that I like a lot:
1. With Ali and the funnier Megan around, I’m cooking lots of dinners. I’ve been craving vegetables in a ridiculously intense way for a few months. I’m reverting to the interesting cook I can be when my fridge is stocked and I have eaters.
2. I’ve been asking for help with Los Osos. It is so easy. I am almost paralyzed by asking for help for my personal life, but I’ll email a friend at the drop of a hat to ask whether a "going concern problem" is big talk for an accountant. Kind people have offered big help, and I happily say 'Yes!'.
3. I am no longer afraid to leave phone messages. Don’t have to plan them out, either. I call, get voicemail and leave a coherent message. I think that is a sign of growing up.
4. I am knitting. Every year I go to the State Fair and every year I walk away thinking, why don’t I make beautiful things? My knitting is not inspired, but it creates something I wear. I will make a few more things, and then I will try something fancier.
5. I’m meeting a lot of strangers. Meeting strangers has gone so well for me since the blog started that the ease seems to have generalized. It was never very difficult, but now it is even easier.

Things I used to like to do, but haven’t recently:
1. Get up early. I think of myself as a morning person, but I haven’t gotten up any earlier than 7:30 in a long time. I used to love very early mornings, and always think “This week, I’ll go for a walk at sunrise every day.”, or “I should do sun salutations as the sun rises.”. But I keep not.
2. Garden. Last year’s garden was a bust, except for the Armenian cucumbers. I rarely got over there. This year the funnier Megan says she’ll garden with me. She’ll do it, too. But I haven’t felt the want to garden. I haven’t been fantasizing over the new beds in front of my house even, although I have started collecting cuttings from around town again.
3. Read fiction. I started on your recommendations to me, and enjoyed Gavriel Kay. But I feel like if I’m good and get through all those, I can reward myself with Sidewalk and The Last Stand.
4. Play Ultimate. So much sprinting! It hurts to catch when it is cold! I don’t know all the new people and they never hold the force at pick-up. Maybe when Spring League starts…

Things I want to do but never have:
1. Write paper letters to friends, maybe illustrated, although I don’t draw. What if I drew things? Ali even paints things.
2. Sing with other people.
3. Read things out loud. Like maybe some of my blog entries at an open mic somewhere. Or other people’s poems.
4. Repair things. For my birthday I asked the funnier Megan to help me replace my garbage disposal and Margie to help me replace my leaking toilet. They have skills and tools both. You know what I really want? I want a red toilet. If they can make gorgeous red porcelainized stoves, they can make porcelainized anything. I want a deep red clawfoot tub, and a red toilet to match. If I can’t have that, you know what I’ve wanted for years? My clawfoot is boring white inside, with a painted exterior. If the exterior is just paint, I want to paint it some strong color, and then put FLAMES on it. Only not flames like a cauldron, but flames like FAST!! Then, I want to switch out the two handled faucet for a steering wheel, and have the FASTEST TUB IN SACRAMENTO! I haven’t thought through all the details, like silvery ghost flames or brightly colored red/orange/yellow flames. But it is fucking weak sauce that I’ve had this idea all these years and never done anything about it.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flame tub = awesome. Totally.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yes they do make red toilets.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take up video games. You should start with . It's fun, and pointless, and will only take a short while to "win". Really, you're supposed to play for points, but the game is way too tedious for me to figure it out to that level.

I always say I'm going to start getting up earlier, but it's just so much easier to stay up late than to get up early, especially if you're busy with things. It was the worst when I was developing software, my schedule kept rolling around. I'd stay up later and later and later, until I was going to bed at like 10am, then I'd have to force myself back into a normal schedule. Blah. Software development sucks.

Paper letters sound nice, but I'd probably end up throwing it away without reading it. I get too much mail. I miss half my bills every month in the mass of junk mail I get. If there's too much mail, I just throw it all away.

And, repairing things is a pain in the ass. I've got things I'd much rather spend my time on than fixing things. I'm perfectly happy to just let things stay broken now. Right up until it's necessary to fix. I just hate taking a whole day to do something like, replace my brakes in my car, or fix my broken linux server. I'd much rather pretend those things don't exist and go hiking, or just sit and watch Married With Children, that's much more satisfying.

Singing is always wrong, I don't know how people can bear to do it.

Anyway,
Justin

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I repaired a leaking toilet last weekend. It was not hard. I simply bought a package at Home Depot that has all the toilet innards in it and just replaced it all. I know now I didn't actually need to replace everything, but it was fun to do and next time I'll know enough to buy just the part I need.

It took about 2 hours and I only had one time when water spewed forth in huge amounts in places I didn't want it to, and even then I had half-expected the problem and knew what to do. After I was finished, I drank a beer to celebrate a job well done. I highly recommend this home repair.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitting rocks. If you haven't gotten a copy of Hats On! by Caroline Schurch or Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee, I can highly recommend both!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I leave a voice mail message I worry that I sounded like a complete idiot and end up second-guessing everything I said.

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, I screwed up the link tag again, wonder how I managed that. Whoops.

Justin

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin has claimed to throw out first class paper mail and also to think singing is unbearable. Not to focus too much on him, but Justin, sometimes you should stop being so Justin and start being a little more Megan, you know? Or else I just don't think it's going to work out between you and I, or you and Megan either. We might have to break up with you... in fact, I think it's inevitable.

--Dubin

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I throw out most of my mail. There's just too much of it. A lot of times I don't even bother sorting it. Apparently I've been getting $5 gift certificates to Best Buy for months, but I threw them all away. I think it's nice that other people have no problem singing out loud in front of others, but I also find it weird. I don't know how people can be that uninhibited.

Justin

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I send paper letters, but only to people I think might want them, which is basically my grandmother and whoever is unfortunate enough to be dating me.

I also cook! In that I cooked the macaroni and cheese on Saturday (even modifying the recipe a bit!), and last night, under a friend's instructions, i coated presliced mushrooms in olive oil (fancy!) and salt on a baking sheet and put them in the oven, as opposed to sintering them to bits in cooking spray on the stove. I've decided I should do it more often.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's funny. I'm typically the kind of person who makes a ton of New Year's resolutions, and then, freakishly, keeps them. So I've been lately dividing my life into categories like Things I Do Now, and Things I Used to Do, and Things I'll Do After January When I Slightly Relax. I like these kinds of categorizations; it's comforting. You go with your list making.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oooh! If you are baking things on a sheet, you can make half my winter repetoire. Cookie sheet (which I line in aluminum foil, because life is too short to clean cookie sheets), olive oil, salt and pepper on the tray. Then! Anything. Half carrots, onion rounds, slices of potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, squashes. It will all be excellent. Promise.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do the same thing with an open fire. Wrap the food in aluminum foil, then just toss it in the fire, and wait awhile. The trick is getting the food back out. I just tend to go with the lose all the hair on my hand and arm approach by grabbing for it bare handed. I don't really recommend that, it's usually fairly painful.

Justin

4:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Slow learning curve, Justin?

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeh, one more thing - I forgot to weigh in on the washroom fixture beautification project.

In a nutshell, abandon the idea of a red toilet because they will be really expensive. But go with the painted tub idea because the tub is sitting right there and waiting for it! Give the tub what it wants! But I'm worried it will clash with the paint scheme in there.

Remember when I brought that kitty home that weighed less than one pound and it spent a week hiding under that tub? Maybe you don't. You might have been too busy digging holes or clipping off the toes of small amphibians or something.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

There is the real risk of clashing. That suggests ghost flames.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home