The blog worked.
0. Greg: Greg is as funny in person as he is on GeeseAplenty. He took me to pizza and root beer, which is ridiculous, 'cause I asked him out. I still owe him a dinner, I guess. I owe him a lot more than that, because he told me that he likes blogs that are written with intent, and that was how I knew to never write a 'State of the Meggie' post.
1. Ed: Took me out for sushi and told me how they brew the best beer in
2. Mike: Handsome CalTech student who took me to Afghani food and explained to me how they measure gravity. After our date, he sent me one of the sweetest emails I got all year.
3. Ogged: Ogged’s throws got accurate quickly, but hurt to catch. Nice guy, though. I’m sure he could pick up some touch if he wanted to.
4. Mitch: Mitch naturally has good hands, and didn’t realize how fast his catches and throws got good. When are you going to tell us your secret blog address?
5. Adam: Adam is a rocket scientist for real, and he told me about a rocket science convention in town. Dave and I walked over and looked at all the cool rocket things, which Adam explained to me later over drinks. That was a nice evening.
6. Jess: Showed me his cool eye patch.
7. Robby: Plays disc at lunch and if I played in his game, I would totally change shirts just to be on his team.
8. Tom: Tom is my people. We’d have been friends however we met.
9. Dave from NY: It is a good thing Dave is sweet inside, ‘cause he sees everything. When we email, he is dead-on about stuff I didn’t know I said.
10. Dave from DC: When Dave says a report or article is interesting, he’s right.
11. Telnar: Has a pretty good explanation for a lot of things.
12. Claiborne: Took me to ice cream and told me how money works and about
13. UnderwearNinja: UN and I see eye to eye. He gets everything I say, including the slang I make up. We hang, but not often enough.
14. Pete: Pete has beautiful, beautiful throws. He picked up backgammon faster than anyone I’ve seen and was brave enough to dance with strangers that same night.
15. Helen: We’re from the same place! She’s fair and pretty (although I’d like to see her carry her shoulders back) and smart and interesting and we went for walks all the time and talked non-stop. She's awesome, Ilya. You shoulda been serious about her from the start.
16. Becks: So damn nice, and thoughtful and friendly.
17. Ezra: He was gracious when I was tactless, which is a really useful trait in the people around me.
18. Kriston: Was all sophisticated, smoking on the stoop.
20. Robin: Reminded me acutely of my friend Paul, and got the benefit of all my affection for Paul. I really liked talking to him.
21. Megan: My favorite exchange this year was with her. Within seconds of being introduced, she said “I don’t really like other Megans.” I said “Me neither”, and then we walked away with no close and didn’t try to talk again. It was fabulous and I enjoy it again every time I think of it.
22. Thelonius_Nick: His dining room table and chairs are as great as he said, and his baby is even cuter. I don’t think we talked about trains, but the conversation didn’t falter, even as we ate all that good food.
23. Ben: Ben doesn’t know what to talk about until you start giving him shit. Then he relaxes and becomes charming.
24. DaggerAleph: I kissed her cheek for hello, which is unusual for me. Turns out that it was only a few hours early, because by the time we got off BART, we were fond enough that cheek kisses were appropriate.
25. Ennis: Ennis knows everything about everything, and figures out the rest. He’s so easy to talk to that I overlook the puns.
26. Justin: Justin is as pure in person as he is in the comments.
27. Abby: We were already friends by the time we met; all that was left was to make tea so we could tell each other the important stories.
28 and 29: Nina and Kwindla: Nina and Kwindla put an enormous picnic table on a gorgeous patio. Then they filled it with food and surrounded it with fascinating people who make things and do things. It was like Sunset magazine, only smarter and funnier. Tom and I agreed that we got to get ourselves invited back.
30. Susan: I knew Tom’s lady would be amazing, but I liked her even better than I expected.
31. Marcus: Marcus is super smart and insightful, and he patronizes me in person, too. I don’t get that often, and it cracks me up. Chris and I talked about it; we agreed that it is good for me, in small doses.
32. John: Has been unreasonably nice to me, for no good reason that I can tell. I suspect he is just that kind. He’s thinking really hard about what blogging should be in
33 and 34. Phillip and Kara: Came to my party and talked to everyone, and were entirely charming and pleasant. He sent me Didion’s essay on the state water project and he was right; it took my breath away.
I just missed Nicole in