html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Giving it away.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Giving it away.

I eavesdrop a fair amount and I consciously watch body language. (I have to watch it very consciously, because by nature I mostly notice tone and not what I see.) But, I have a checklist now and I've gotten better. Since I've been watching people's body language, I've started joining in. Mother scolding children in the store gets a head shake and a finger point from me. A couple fighting needs me to help count on my fingers. (Unobtrusively. I am not entirely tactless.) Anyway, one of my very favorite themes is 'pretentious explanation', of which years of grad school have given me a wide repertoire. So I really liked this post, via Ezra. But as a connoisseur, I can say with confidence that this is one of the finest glasses-shakes I've seen in a long time. So much commitment. Mr. Blair is a true professional.

***********
Also, this cracked me up at the BagNewsNotes this morning. Look at the kid on Cheney Rove's left. Look at him again in this shot. He is sitting next to the Vice President policy director of the United States of America. What do you think it would take to get him to notice anything but that pretty girl sitting across from him?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Rove, not Cheney.

Or were you making a more subtle point?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Nope. I'll fix it.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

This is what happens when you never see pictures of pliticians.

3:26 PM  
Blogger bobvis said...

It can take a *lot* to get you to notice anything but the pretty girl in your field of vision. I live on a college campus, so I am more desensitized to pretty women than the average guy. However, I almost got in a fender-bender backing up because there was a woman bundled up in a long, elegant coat way back there in the distance. Lust kills your peripheral vision.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with a mother scolding children in a store?

Justin

4:21 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Nothing. I meant that (off to the side, where no one sees) I mimic the mom, scolding imaginary children.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you share the checklist? is it written down? would you write it down? i think it sounds useful.

(i'm a good friend of ali's friend nisha, fyi, and nish turned me on to your blog.)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hey Muppster,

Are you her friend in DC?

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home