html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Back Monday

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Back Monday

Hey folks. I'm off to Florida, for my great-aunt and uncle's sixtieth wedding aniversary. I can't really predict my posting frequency, although the potential posts themselves are predictable:

Why Florida is a horrible place.
Ode to old people.
Fear of becoming old.
Reflection on sixty years of marriage.
Traveling with small nephews.

If I can come up with something that isn't a cliché and can sneak away, I'll post it. Else, I'll see you next week, when I come home for days and days and days of not having to travel and going to Farmers' Market and going to the park and seeing the friends I've neglected and starting Conditioning Night back up and the opening of lunch time lap swim. It sounds like heaven.

******
Hmm. This is a long shot, 'cause I haven't seen much of Florida in my site stats. But, anyone close to Venice want to hang out? Meeting a blogfriend would be a nice break from family. Perhaps a local could show me somewhere in Florida that isn't awful.

******
Also, any requests for posts?

10 Comments:

Blogger billoo said...

"fear of becoming old"
..as long as its poetic, elegiac.

I travel on the buses quite a lot here and one of the saddest things to see is old people with many stories to tell but no-one to listen to them. (the complete opposite of bloggers!)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Anush said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Anush said...

Places in Florida that are not awful: the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Hey, I was in Venice just this week!

Oh, wrong Venice. Your loss, I suspect. Anyway, would be interested in your impressions of Florida. I've never been there but I gather it is a classic case of local optimisation (massive houses for everyone!) leading to a globally sub-optimal solution (massive sprawl for everyone!) The real Venice nicely demonstrates the reverse. [In your face libertarians! ;-)]

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you still owe us a post on what makes for a good blowjob.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone on a trip to Florida might notice differences in water management technology and challenges, compared to their home state.

A4

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anyway, would be interested in your impressions of Florida. I've never been there but I gather it is a classic case of local optimisation (massive houses for everyone!) leading to a globally sub-optimal solution (massive sprawl for everyone!) The real Venice nicely demonstrates the reverse. [In your face libertarians! ;-)]"

Hmm. And was Venice built by government fiat, or perhaps by hippie communitarians?

According to Wikipedia: "At the peak of its power and wealth...Venice's leading families vied with each other to build the grandest palaces and support the work of the greatest and most talented artists."

So Venice was built by the wealthy trying to outdo one another in conspicuous consumption. Sounds pretty libertarian to me, although I'll grant Venice's leading families seemed to have better taste in archicture than modern-day Floridians.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Hey thelonius_nick, you missed the smiley! Venice is great because the geography forced it to be dense, just like Edinburgh, and probably San Francisco. Even the grandest palace in Venice is pretty pokey compared to some trashy pro-athlete's McMansion. So really I'm supporting the new urbanism. I suspect most Libertarians are against urbanism, but the two are not necessarily correlated.

(I have yet to visit a great city that is not dense, either due to geographic constraints or age.)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm in Tampa, wouldn't mind meeting in Sarasota (I think that would be about 1/3 distance from you, 2/3 from me) for coffee or something if the timing worked out. We can talk about how awful Florida is. The sad part will be that I live here and probably will for the next year and a half. /tear

teaforthetillerman@gmail.com

Noel, the major cause of sprawl is stupid tax incentives for home ownership that penalize people who rent. =/

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home