html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Two bad plans.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Two bad plans.

This reality show, about a dying woman choosing which of three contestants will receive a kidney, sounds like a horrible, horrible idea. You know what I do not want to do with the last of my life? I would not like to meet a bunch of pleasant people with poignant stories and have to pick only one of them to restore health and comfort to. It is all great for the person you pick, but then there's the looking at the other two and being all "Dude. Sorry. The other guy? His kid was cuter. And they all cried and shit." Seriously, that sounds AWFUL. Why knowingly put yourself in that position? If I were truly faced with that choice, I would immediately start flipping coins to get out of it. And I would flee from the emoting, and I would surely never put it on TV. I hope the donor gets what she wants out of this, but it sounds like a fucking disaster to me.

You know what else sounds like a Bad Plan? This Craigslist ad:
Beautiful Secret Agent? - 30
Reply to: pers-xxxxxxxx@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-31, 1:20AM PDT


Psst... Are you smart, kind and beautiful? Please, consider cheat-proofing my man. If you choose to accept this mission, please reply and we can work out the details. Thanks

* Location: Downtown
* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Now, see, that sounds like a Bad Plan. That strikes me as introducing trouble to a situation where trouble didn't previously exist. I can think of very many ways it could go wrong, and only one where it could go right. Why seek out those odds and bring them home? Home to your boyfriend! BAD PLAN.

5 Comments:

Blogger aram harrow said...

i think the point of the reality show is to draw attention to the shortage of donated organs, and not so much about picking the worthiest recipient. so it might still be an unpleasant thing to go through, but a not necessarily a bad plan.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Dubin said...

Nah - I saw someone affiliated with the show on the news, delivering that line about "drawing attention" ... I thought it was a complete crock.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Rock says "A man is as faithful as his options."

My favorite dining room table chair says "A giraffe sees far and runs from danger."

Another way of putting it is that men who want to be faithful avoid situations where they will be tempted in the first place, knowing that willpower alone is a highly unreliable support. I would go so far as to say that relying on willpower to maintain virtue is almost guaranteed to fail eventually, wheras foresight is quite effective.

So by specifically and purposefully placing her man in a situation of maximum temptation, this woman is almost certainly leading him into a situation in which he will cheat on her. I would guess, too, that even if he passes the first test, the woman will not be satisfied and will just set up a more severe test.

I hope she saves some of the eventual recriminations for herself.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Psst... Are you smart, kind and beautiful? Please, consider cheat-proofing my man. "

Kind? What definition of "kind" makes them think a kind person will participate?

I'm in the strange position of wishing for the end of this relationship, for the sake of the man.

A4

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dutch reality show was a hoax designed to - you guessed it - "draw attention" to a serious problem.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home