html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Evening star? More like oncoming headlights.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Evening star? More like oncoming headlights.

I need to live in a siesta culture. I'm so drowsy. The Sacramento nights have finally arrived. We've been waiting all year for these soft warm nights. Eighty-four degrees at eleven-thirty, so you might as well stay out another hour. Walking home from the funnier Megan's late last night, I passed circles of people in their front yards and couples on their stoops and houses with all windows open. I saw a street man leave his cart to sit on the curb and gather in a cat who looked happy to see him. It was in front of a church and I loved the idea that at that church, even the cat ministers to the poor. I've seen owls, too.

Have you guys seen Venus the past month? That planet is ridiculously bright. Seriously, it distracts me if I am outside. If it were an engagement ring I would think it was overdone and tacky. The past couple nights it looked good next to the new crescent moon, but I'm getting a little embarrassed for it. 'Tone it down, hon. We see you.'

Summer shifts everything late for me. I eat first dinner when I get home at 6ish and real dinner at nine or ten. The warm nights are tempting me into staying up late and I can't sleep in in my east facing bedroom, so how do I magically turn us into a siesta culture? I love naps. I want to nap in the shade in a courtyard with a blue-tiled fountain. I want to drowse in a small room with my family making noise in the rest of the house. I want to wake up for these long gentle evenings, light until nine and a late sunset with that crazy star, and a cold dinner and my city still sitting up talking.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, and a thousand miles inland, I suppose I thought much the same thing. Though the moon and venus were playing hide and seek in the broken clouds, and the only neighbor at the cabin was the river. [and the bats] There are enough stars that venus just becomes part of a beautiful whole. Even if she is brighter and not twinkling...
Yes, summer...
D

5:51 PM  
Blogger susan said...

So that was Venus, huh? I was wondering.

I too would love to live in a siesta culture. If you can figure out a way to establish one here, do let me know.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That image of the man leaving his cart to be with the cat is priceless.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It was very touching. 24th-25th and O St. They looked like they knew each other.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Foursquare Church! My old stomping grounds (the neighborhood, not the church).

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be nice to live in a community where people actually sit outside in front yards and on stoops. In my corner of suburbia most people don't venture outside except to use their privacy-fence-surrounded backyards.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Venus was major over here near Wash DC, too -- and we had a red sickle moon to boot. Great description of folks staying outside late, Megan -- have you read Crooked Little Heart by Ann Lamott? She took a different approach in describing the same behavior(which was mostly about a 14-year old girl coming of age in the Bay Area). Recommended.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thousands of miles away, I saw that crescent and that evening star last night at midnight. I'm suffereng lack of sleep myself because it's bright here until after 10 and gets light again before 4.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home