html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: No icky boys.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

No icky boys.

I was watching handclapping games on YouTube, 'cause Ali and I've been handclapping. I love that Ali and I know the same claps, despite ten years difference and growing up across the continent. They aren't consistent internationally, though; I'd never seen this one. I don't see a lot of the Say Say Oh Playmate variant I grew up with (hold pinkies, swing hands as you sing "say say oh playmate", break into claps at the end of the line). Do any of you remember a "Say Say oh Enemy" variant? The one I remember best wasn't well represented on YouTube, but it is here at forty seconds. Those girls look like they're having a ton of fun.

Ooooh... these girls are awesome.


Ok, boys. You can come back now:

The game that made me really nostalgic was this balance game. Oh man. I've played that for hours. I'm good at it, too. The goal is to make the other person move their feet first. There's strategery, so it isn't just a strength game. I loved that game. I don't know if I can still play it; I'm sure it would hurt my wrist after a while. But next time we're hanging out and you feel like you need to get schooled, you just let me know.

7 Comments:

Blogger LizardBreath said...

I know "Oh Little Playmate" not "Say Say Oh Playmate", but I think it's the same. And the "Oh Little Enemy" variant is:

Oh Little Enemy,
Come out and fight with me,
And bring your pitchforks three,
Fall from my apple tree,
Drown in my rain barrel,
Fall through my cellar door,
And we'll be en-e-mies,
Forever more
1-2-3-4!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Say say oh enemy
Come out and fight with me
...
...
Slide down my razor blade
Into my cellar door
And we'll be enemies
Forever more
1-2-3-4

The part about the razor blade stuck with me.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We called it "Say Say Oh Enemy", and it was "fall through my *dungeon* door", thank you very much. And while we had the pinky-hooking variation, the more common one involved a complicated clapping pattern (which was the same one we used for "A-B-C, it's as easy at 1-2-3, my momma's got the allergies, baby you and me...").

For the record, I graduated high school in 1996, and grew up in New York.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Sheila Tone said...

Oh playmate
I cannot play with you
My dolly has the flu
She will throw up on you
I have no rainbow
I have no cellar door

...

Yours was more spiteful; ours was more just resentful. Maybe it was the difference of a couple years, or living outside rather than inside the San Fernando Valley.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott said...

My version of "say say oh enemy" was the same as Megan's. (Graduated HS 1995, Bay Area.)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

say say oh enemy
come out and fight with me
and bring your bulldogs three
climb up my poison tree
Slide down my chain saw
Into my dungeon door
And we'll be enemies forever more more more more more

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I remember from my Illinois elementary school:
Say, say, oh enemy,
Come out and fight with me.
Bring out your monsters three.
Climb up my torture tree.
Slide down my razor blade.
And hit the dungeon door.
And we'll be jolly enemies,
forever more, more, more, more, more.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home