html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: I have to be able to run on it by Thursday.

Monday, June 11, 2007

I have to be able to run on it by Thursday.

Rolled my ankle yesterday, which is not a rare thing to happen. This was a moderately severe roll, so my usual macho walking it off didn't work. Instead I had to admit it was rolled and go elevate it. My sister made me ice it. I hate icing injuries. I hate it very much, so I was very sad that she also knows about treating injuries and said cheery things like "Ten minutes on, ten minutes off!" I thought she was a little too happy about fetching the ice and the wrap to hold it in place, but if you can't trust your sister to have your best interests at heart, who can you trust?

Rolling my ankle threatened to make today difficult too. I had a Fancy Meeting with Illustrious People today in SF. I would have been intimidated by them, except that I was entirely distracted by the prospect of wearing professional clothing for hours. I brought one outfit, which depended on the black high heels I chose. I don't usually wear heels, but when I do, I like some serious height on them. My high heels were out of the question now. But my sister saved me again, with cute black mary-jane-esque docs. I wasn't sure if I could pull off mary-jane-esque docs at a Fancy Meeting, but I looked online, and Style Quasimoto! said that all the grotesquely limping hunchbacks are rocking the schoolgirl look these days.

Anyway, the shoes worked and I was sorry to give them back to my sister. The Fancy Meeting went fine. The only real downside is that I had to tell Ali about my ankle and when she saw it all swollen, she gave me a stern look. "Twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off. Every day." Why is everyone I live with bossy?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't trust me if I were you, but I once had a physical therapist friend tell me that once you were beyond some window (24 hours? 48 hours??) the efficacy of ice was greatly reduced.

You should make that argument to your bossy friends.

Now, get out there and do what I told you to do :^)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I don't know. After knee surgery they often send home a crazy cooling sleeve with chiller for the recuperating patient.

I think my sister had that for a week.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a mac.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should make the mary jane esque docs your official work shoe. I have somehow gotten away with using a pair of docs as my "formal" work shoes for years. Super comfy.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

By docs do you mean Doc Marten's? Haven't worn a pair in years. Are they back in fashion in California?

Oh yeah: Thirty minutes on, thirty minutes off. Every day. :-)

What's so bad about icing injuries anyway? Sure, it sucks, but being injured sucks more.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice may not be a perfect solution, but it can be a whole lot safer than pain-relief creams!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Right now my sister is making the mary-jane-esque docs her official work shoe. But when I move in for real, I'll have more access to them.

Also, Ali did her hands on her hips and I didn't like that one bit.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Ice is injury magic. As long as its swollen, it works. Don't run on it Thursday, you're a crazy woman!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a pair ankle braces for Christ's sake. They're cheap.

And, it's ice on and off to get the swelling down, along with light pressure all day, if you HAD ankle braces you can use them for the pressure.

Justin

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to 3/4 top football cleats a few seasons ago and it's done wonders for my ankles. I use WR/CB cleats, a friend that's bigger, quicker, and slower than me uses lineman cleats.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

arnica montana - a homeopathic remedy in 30c... I don't use them for everything, but they have helped with soft rolls or sprains for me in the past... [I wear high tops for a reason] get it at a health food store, if you have a mind.
D

10:05 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I have active ankles, which I use when I play. But I'm much more likely to roll my ankles just walking somewhere. Slightly uneven sidewalks are my bane.

Don't run on it Thursday, you're a crazy woman!

I can't hear you.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm much more likely to roll my ankles just walking somewhere. Slightly uneven sidewalks are my bane.

Well, get the high-top shoes and wear them ALL THE TIME. I'm sure gentleman callers will understand.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sure, Peter, if that gal who died of Bengay poisoning had been using ice, she'd have died of hypothermia!

You don't want Megan to die of hypothermia, do you!? ;-)

Cheers,
Tim.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know already about all the exercises to strengthen your ankles (standing on one foot closing your eyes, or standing on foot while doing something else e.g. bouncing a ball off a wall etc.) but maybe a physiotherapist could give you some extra tips if your ankles are prone to this type of thing.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home