html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Just in case...

Monday, June 04, 2007

Just in case...

Oooh, are you going to make me talk about the precautionary principle and the fact that bad things happen and what to do with uncertainty and the sweet reassurance of redundancy in our designed systems and my theory that lawyers are paid well in part to compensate them for the cognitive dissonance they experience because they are paid to plan for bad things happening? Don't make me turn that into a post.

***********

Also, LB? I'm not convinced by the potato-rhubarb gratin. The rhubarb is tart, but still a little sweet and stands out against the yummy cheesy potatoes. I think that if I wanted a sweet element, I'd go for carrots more than rhubarb. Are you sure about the savory rhubarb approach?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I've had a potato-rhubarb gratin. It was pretty darn good. Also, potato-pear.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hmm. This wasn't bad, but I kept being surprised by the tart rhubarb and didn't think it was well integrated.

What did the rhubarb *do* in the ones you liked?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I think the rhubarb might have been roasted before the gratin, because the rhubarb wasn't very tart. Still, there was some savor, and a different texture.

I won't say it is an ideal pairing, though.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

How many lawyers actually do plan for bad things happening? Bad things not directly caused by the legal profession? Those that are paid well (not all of them), are for the same reason that most professionals are paid well: credentialed rent-seeking.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The precautionary principle is worth discussion.

Here's an objection to start with: working to prevent something in the US may be worse than useless if that just creates an incentive to do the dangerous thing in China or somewhere else.

11:01 PM  
Blogger LizardBreath said...

Did I suggest a savory rhubarb gratin? If so, my excuse is that I was drunk at the time. I recall suggesting a rutabaga/potato gratin, back in the winter when winter food made sense, but not rhubarb.

For rhubarb, you'd need something really sweet to balance it, not just starchy potatoes -- I'm not sure what's local and in season, but something like pear. And I'm not a huge rhubarb fan; mostly it seems like a way to stretch strawberries to me, and I'd rather just eat more strawberries.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

No! You didn't! You wrote rutabaga, and I re-typed it as exactly that, and I was thinking rhubarb the entire time. Rutabaga makes A LOT more sense.

Eh - the rhubarb wasn't awful, but it wasn't as good as you made the rutabaga out to sound. I'm so glad we cleared that up, because I was doubting your tastes.

I do love fruit + rhubarb. I might do a nectarine-rhubarb pie next.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home